Pregnancy - Can I get a tummy tuck?

I am pregnant with my 3rd child, and was wondering if I could get a Mini Tummy Tuck by my doctor while my doctor is proceeding my C-section?

Tummy tuck immediately after baby delivery... possible or better wait... better wait

It seems that Hollywood has encourage the thought that this 2 procedures are the way to go to look camera ready after pregnancy. The bottom line is that the baby fat is the determining factor. If you did only gain the baby weight (7-9 lbs) and no fat, then, the procedure could be consider. however, this is unlikely in the majority of cases. It is better to loose your weight to favor a better outcome. Also make sure that you are done with child bearing.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Dr. Derby Sang Caputo

The best is to wait 8 months after labor to have any surgery done. 

Best of luck.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tuck with C Section

It is not a good idea to have any form of tummy tuck at the same time as a C Section. Tissues are too stretched at that time, best to wait at least six months, esp if you plan to work out to tighten your abdominal muscles. You will get a much better result by waiting.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would not recommend this.  I would recommend that you wait 6-12 months after you finish breast feeding prior to undergoing elective surgery.  This will allow your body appropriate time to heal and recover.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Separate C section from tummy tuck

Hi Juliarose1.  I would not recommend getting a mini tuck at the same time/immediately following a C section.  You will not get your flattest tummy if you don't wait for your body to bounce back from pregnancy and all the hormonal shifts that follow. Depending upon how your muscles are afterwards, you may get better shaping with a full tuck or you may not need one at all.  There is concern also when combining intra-abdominal procedures with a tuck (like infection, hematomas, etc), and recoveries may not match in terms of activity and positioning restrictions.  There are so many other reasons--please talk to your OB and PS first.  Best wishes,

Vaishali B. Doolabh, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy - Can I get a tummy tuck?

Assuming patients have completed pregnancies I ask them to achieve their long-term stable weight and be stable physically,   financially, emotionally... prior to any tummy tuck surgery (this may take 6 to 12 months after C-section). Allow yourself time to heal after the c-section and enjoy your time with your new arrival. Best wishes.

Absolutely not

Thank you for your question.  You would not want to have a tummy tuck at the same time as a c-section for several reasons.  At the time of a tummy tuck, you want to be back at your baseline weight so that you can get an optimal result.  If you have it done during your c-section, you will have residual excess skin and laxity in your abdominal wall after you get back down to your prepregnancy weight.  In addition, it is simply not a safe time to have an elective procedure like a tummy tuck.  I recommend waiting at least six months, but one to two years would be ideal.  Remember, you cannot lift more than 10-15 lbs for six weeks after a tummy tuck.  Best wishes!  One more thing...you don't want your ob/gyn performing your tummy tuck.  Consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons when it comes time.

Nicholas Tarola, MD