Is There Surgery for Sagging Skin?

I'm 57 and in gd shape. No kids, wo 4-5 days a wk with heavy weights and aerobics. Just lost 10 lbs-15 to go. I almost look worse then before w/o clothes bc my skin is sagging. Is there surgery that primarily just "pulls up" the skin? If so, is it overly complicated?

Doctor Answers 4

Treatment for excess skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Congrats on your weight loss.  There are options to tighten up your skin.  Depending on what areas you wish to improve will determine which procedure (s) you may need.  Once your weight loss has stablized, please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The only way to get rid of saggy skin is surgery.  After you lose all the extra weight,  you will have your best surgery results.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 61 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Surgery is the only thing you can do for saggy skin.

Usually it is not overly complicated because it is just fat and skin.

As I always say to my patients lose all your extra weight first and then have surgery, your results will be better.


Michael A. Fiorillo, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 107 reviews

You might also like...


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is surgery for sagging skin in most parts of the body. You don't say in your note where the troublesome skin excess is, but correction is available for the abdomen, back, thighs, buttocks, breast (male or female), face, neck, arms, and I may have left some areas out. Most of these should be quite routine to a board certified plastic surgeon.

This may not be the time to have your surgery, and you should wait until you are close to your desired weight.l


You are ready for an in person consultation. RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thanks for your question and best wishes. 

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.