Can I get a breast augmentation at the same time as pectus carinatum surgery?

i wonder if i can do a plastic surgery to make my breast bigger in tha same surgery? and who is the specialist doctor for this surgery? thank you

Generally speaking, breast augmentation surgery may be a great way to help camouflage chest wall concerns/asymmetry.  In other words, with a well executed procedure (carefully positioned  breast implant "pocket" and careful selection of breast implant size/profile), the area of "protruding bone" will likely be covered nicely (you will find a representative case on a recent review posted to our profile: "pectus carinatum coverup").  

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Congenital deformity conceiled by breast augmentation

I also agree with the other docs.   Avoid the very aggressive chest surgery and stay with breast implants to conceal and indirectly  correct the congenital issues with your chest.   The breast augmentation is a quite easy surgery and easy to recover.   Chest - rib cage manipulative surgery is best avoided unless there is some physiologic problem with breathing etc.  Usually there is no physiologic problem so the easy route is a breast augmentation.   You may need to lean a little toward somewhat larger implants and this is fine and will conceal and indirectly  correct better than smaller implants.  Hope this helps.  My Best,  Dr C

Chest Deformities and Breast Implant Surgery

Chest Deformities and Breast Implant Surgery -
I agree with the previous comments that most women choose to camouflage this problem with implants because of the extent of the chest surgery.
Please choose your surgeons carefully.

Breast Augmentation and Pectus Carinatum Surgery

I agree with Dr Tholen, a pectus carinatum surgery is a major surgical procedure and should not be undertaken lightly.   Nor should the surgery  be combined with a breast augmentation at the same time.   Check first, with a board certified caridiothoracic surgeon to determine whether or not the pectus carinatum procedure is in your best interest.  In most cases a breast augmentation alone may the better alternative.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Pectus carinatum and breast augmentation.

Pectus carinatum is over-projection of the breastbone (sternum) giving what is often called a "pigeon-chested" or "keeled chest" appearance. There is flattening of the ribcage on either side with forward projection of the sternum, like the keel of a ship. This ribcage/sternum configuration occurs with variations of bone/cartilage growth and has no functional concerns, making this a purely cosmetic issue.

Pectus carinatum correction is a huge operation performed by a 2-surgeon team of cardiothoracic surgeon and plastic surgeon. Because it is such a major operation, it carries some real risks, and yet since it fixes no functional concern (and leaves rather huge scars which then become a secondary cosmetic concern to replace the initial one), this is rarely recommended or performed. In cases where patient and surgeons agree, surgery can be appropriate, but adding elective breast augmentation to this would be foolhardy and much more likely to have additional augmentation complications. I cannot think of a case where this would be a reasonable recommendation to perform together.

Rather, the vast majority of women will simply undergo breast augmentation, which will improve the chest/breast projection on either side of the sternum, give perhaps a bit of cleavage, and help to camouflage the pectus. This avoids the significant cost, risks, and scars that accompany pectus correction, which frankly, also decreases the augmentation success rate somewhat. Most patients would skip pectus correction, and simply opt for breast implants.

If you remain committed to considering pectus correction, this should be done first, and I would start with a plastic surgeon who is part of a university teaching hospital where there are also cardiothoracic surgeons who can collaborate with plastic surgeons. Best wishes and Happy Holidays! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon