Pectoral Implants/Hi-Def Liposculpture? (photo)

Am 30 year old with pectus carinatum - prominent on my left chest & I have mild scoliosis. Liposuction done in 2011. Look the same with not much change. I want it flat or toned look - 6 pac. I am 5'11, 139lbs. I however feel I have a paunch on my belly. Will Hi-Def lipo help? For pectoral implants - I was told it would look odd as I am skinny, with one suggesting fat transplant to my chest - another told me my only option is implants. Could someone advise?

Doctor Answers 2

Pectoral Implants/Hi-Def Liposculpture? (photo)

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 398 reviews

Pectus carinatum or something else?


The term pectus carinatum defines spectrum of chest wall deformities with outward bulging of the chest skeleton. Pectus excavatum defines inward depression. Usually what we understand from this definition is, despite the possibility of other concomitant deformities pectus excavatum is expected to be a depression especially at the midline most of the time. If it's subsides at one side more then another condition Poland Syndrome should be ruled out. 

Signs of Poland Syndrome is mainly the lack of development (hypoplasia) of the pectoral muscle at the involved side which can also be accompanied with some rib or chest wall deformities, nipple hypoplasia or absence, muscle hypoplasia of the arm, forearm, hand and finger deformities such as syndactily (conjoined fingers) or brachidactily (short fingers) at the involved side.  As I can see from the photographs even though it's not a classic Poland Syndrome appearance it should be completely ruled out.

Regarding the pectoral implant: Pectoral implants usually produced to get rid of more accentuated deformities or asymmetries. Sometimes results are good but sometimes they are below satisfactory. In your case Vaser HD has minimal or no place as our aim here would be to fix the volume deficiency at the depressed side. Fat injections alone would do a good job in terms of symmetry. Your skin just doesn't seem to be thick enough to let us lower the outwardly protruded side with liposuction either with Vaser or Laser. Thus Vaser HD has near to no place here.

I would recommend you to visit a doctor who specialized in chest wall deformities in your city. But if you don't want to mess with implants the a Plastic Surgeon would do your job in terms of symmetrization. 

Wish you good luck!

Kamran Efendioglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.