I've had weight loss surgery and am wondering if coolsculpting will help with loose skin.

I've lost 40 pounds but still have 50 more to go. My problem area is my lower belly is sagging badly

Coolsculpting and Loose Skin

Coosculpting is not to tighten loose skin. It is to reduce fat in a particular place. If your skin is loose and sagging then I think your best option is to have it surgically removed. Congratulations on your weight loss.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Coolsculpting/Liposuction/Body Contouring/ High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.
Coolsculpting is best for fat deposits not skin tightening 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Loose Skin and Cool Sculpting

Dear Donna, Congratulations on your weight loss. Unfortunately Cool Sculpting would most likely not be the option for you. It helps reduct the fat in small problem areas but if you are talking about loose, sagging skin and fat then most likely you are talking abdominal surgery. Please make sure you seek a board certified plastic surgeon for your consultation. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin and coolsculpting --- tummy tuck and body lifting is needed

no coolsculpting doesn't tighten skin, if the skin is loose it needs to be surgically removed.  Best, Dr. Emer.

CoolSculpting for skin tightening

Dear donnak01:Congratulations on your success and continued desire to lose weight!After 20 years of disappointing devices to non-surgically reduce fat and tighten skin, 2 are finally "working". These are:CoolSculpting primarily for limited fat reduction. Some patients in some areas will experience some skin shrinkage but certainly not skin tightening.ThermiTIGHT for skin tightening. Most patients will experience a small to moderate improvement with this minimally invasive technique.Following massive weight loss, I anticipate you will need skin removal as the skin excess will be too much for any non-invasive improvement at this time. For your belly, a tummy tuck will also tighten the fascial laxity, ie. the internal muscle corset. Always consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for proper examination, proper discussion of alternatives best for you and your best chance of a great result. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Will CoolSculpting Help With Loose Skin?

No, it won't. CoolSculpting has minimal, if any, effects on loose skin. Usually in patients who have had weight loss surgery the extent of loose skin that remains is too much for a non-surgical treatment to be beneficial. Surgery would be the best treatment. Congratulations on your weight loss and best wishes to you. 

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Skin Tightening

Hello donnak01,CoolSculpting is an excellent non-invasive treatment for permanent fat removal in a variety of body areas. However it is not a "skin tightening" procedure and any skin tightening noted after these treatments is more related to your skins natural ability to retract as it would with weight loss. In cases of significant skin laxity (sagging) such as seen after "weight loss surgery" CoolSculpting will be of no value; in fact in cases such as yours removal of the excess skin typically require a surgical procedure for this. You indicated you had 50 more pounds to go thus when you are at or very near your ideal weight, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to assess the areas of your concern and the type of procedure best suited to accomplish your goals will save you a lot of time, energy and potential wasted money on non-invasive options that will prove unsatisfying to you. Congratulations on your success to date with the weight loss.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Loose Skin and Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting works extremely well for pinchable fat, but does not address loose skin in a significant manner. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Loose skin - is Coolsculpting the answer?

Nope, Coolsculpting won't improve this at all. It is best to either have surgery, laser lipo, Thermi, or something like Exilis to treat this. The treatments other than surgery will give some very mild results so if the problem is moderate or worse, it won't improve without surgery.

Steven F. Weiner, MD