I'm 60 yrs old. I have precancerous cells on my face. Can a chemical peel clear my face up and they not come back.

Yes, medium depth peels can treat sun damage

OK, the truth is that if performed correctly, medium depth TCA peels can treat sk and sun damage. In fact peels are excellent for this condition. You do need to go medium depth, hence at least 30% with Jessners solution. Now, sun damage and solar keratosis are like plaque build up on the teeth, namely we can remove, but they will come back over time, especially if you have had a long history of sun exposure. As a guide, peels of this depth need to be repeated over 5-10 years. Do I still do TCA ? Yes, however with the event of lasers and PDT, this has been less popular as newer methods give less downtime with good results, however one should not dismiss the art of chemical peeling. Good point. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Actinic keratoses

Thank you for your question viviangward. Chemical peels are used to enhance the appearance of the face. Actinic keratosis, or precancerous lesions on the skin, are common. The are usually treated with cryotherapy which uses liquid nitrogen to freeze the area. The skin slowly flakes off. Multiple treatments may be necessary. Chemical peels are not frequently used for actinic keratoses. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician