Can IPL cause hair growth in face?!

I've had 2 Ipl treatments done to my face and I have noticed an increase in hair on face face. It seems as tho the slight peach fuzz has gotten thicker. I am not sure the frequency the lady at the dermatologist office used . As I have read on low settings it can do that. So I am just wondering is this true or false. I just wonder cause this seems odd for me to get this all of a sudden.

Paradoxical hypertrichosis

Thank you for your question kimali. IPL is a great treatment to correct sun damage and it can be used for hair removal. A phenomenon sometimes seen is paradoxical hypertrichosis, which is getting more hair in an area that is being treated for hair removal (or any laser for that matter). In such cases one must adjust the settings of the laser by increasing the fluence and decreasing the pulse width. Such an adjustment would correct the paradoxical hypertrichosis. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

IPL/hair growth

IPl should not cause hair growth, it is actually used for hair reduction in some cases.  You may follow up with a skin care specialist for dermaplane treatments to help the appearance of the "peach fuzz".

IPL and Hair Loss

IPL shouldn't cause hair growth but any hair removal device has the ability to cause a paradoxical hyperplasia of hair.  I suggest you see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.