can Botox make more lines on face and more aging the more a person uses it or if they stop using it?!

I have never used Botox before and I've read a lot about it. I've heard very good things and very bad things. I'm worried that by using it I won't be able to stop because the area between the brows would look worse by stopping. Due to the fact that it relaxes the muscles. So what happens if a person stops using it?! Also using over time I've heard of muscle loss and I've heard that Botox travels to other parts of the body Like I said I wanna try it but very worried about the bad issues

Botox risks

Thank you for your question kimali. You raise common concerns. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. Most people enjoy the results of a Botox treatment for 3-4 months. After that the skin goes back to it's baseline. Over years changes are seen with age and occur whether or not a person is treated with Botox. Botox is injected into the skin and there is minimal blood absorption. So a negligible amount may travel to other parts of the body. As with any treatment there are risks associated with a Botox treatment. If I have a patient who is extremely concerned with the risks, I do not recommend a Botox treatment for him/her. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox is a very safe cosmetic procedure for wrinkle reduction.

Botox is a very safe cosmetic procedure for wrinkle reduction that has not been shown to have adverse long-term consequences. You may feel like your wrinkles look worse after stopping Botox, simply because after stopping Botox use your normal wrinkles will return, but you will not be used to seeing them. However, there is no evidence that Botox causes worse wrinkles upon stopping use. Botox can cause muscle atrophy when used in large doses over a long period of time, and can be intentionally used for this purpose (i.e. slimming the jawline), but in normal doses for wrinkles in the forehead, crow’s feet, or frown lines, this should not be a problem. In fact, we have published a long term safety study on the 10 year use of Botox in the Journal, Dermatologic Surgery in 2015.
I recommend visiting a skilled, board certified dermatologist for an in-person consultation, where you can discuss your concerns and get all the answers you need before having your treatment.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

BOTOX® shouldn't create more wrinkles later on.

If you have BOTOX® Cosmetic injections, you should have noticeably fewer dynamic wrinkles. If you stop your BOTOX® treatments, the wrinkles that you had before will gradually return and new wrinkles may form. These are the same wrinkles that would have naturally occurred if you had never had BOTOX® injections. Repeated BOTOX® use can weaken the targeted muscles, just as any muscle that we stop using becomes weaker over time. Those same muscles can be strengthened through activity and exercise, so you don’t have to worry about permanently losing muscle. There are some medical conditions that BOTOX® can treat, and in these cases much larger doses of BOTOX® are administered than in a cosmetic treatment. In rare instances, the BOTOX® used in these treatments may travel to other parts of the body, but not when used cosmetically to treat wrinkles.

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox.
The treated area will not become worse if stopping the use of Botox, but the lines/wrinkles that may have once been then will reappear and may become more prominent. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Stopping Botox

It won't make the lines on your face worse, but when you stop using it, you will be more likely to notice those lines and be unhappy with them since you know how good it can look with Botox.

Worried about Botox but wants to try it

Thank you for asking about your Botox and its side-effects.

• The best way to get a good Botox result is to have your injection done by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Facial Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist - the 3 specialties in which doctors are trained in cosmetic treatments.
  • Botox can in time reduce the strength of the facial muscles - so you need less Botox, less often.
  • If you stop using Botox, you get your wrinkles back.
  • Very high doses injected frequently into people with serious muscle spasm does - intentionally - tend to lead to loss of function of those muscles. Those doses are not used cosmetically
  • If Botox is injected into veins or arteries, it can reach other parts of the body - in the doses used cosmetically, those effects are likely to be unnoticeable.
  • The specialist you consult will be able to answer these questions and others you have in even greater detail.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Can Botox make more lines on face and more aging the more a person uses it or if they stop using it?

In most people repeated use of botox weakens the muscles responsible for wrinkling.  If anything this may delay formation of obvious and deeper wrinkles as you age.  I would have little concern over negative side effects if proper doses are injected by an experienced injector.  Most patients are delighted and many thrilled by the results leading most of us to encourage its use.  

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Diplomate, Am Bd. of Plastic Surgery
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Stopping Botox

Botox works by relaxing muscles that cause wrinkles that are dynami--that move and once you stop the injections everything returns to where it was without sequelae

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Can Botox make more lines on face and more aging the more a person uses it or if they stop using it?!

Hello Kimali,

Botox has been around for many years with an excellent safety profile, especially for the doses used in cosmetic practices.  Botox does affect the muscle but it should not make an area look worse with continued use.  It is designed to relax the muscle which then prevents the development of wrinkles where that muscle is working.  If you stop Botox, you will begin to use those muscles again and you can develop wrinkles.  So it would look worse if you stopped because the wrinkles could begin to show, but it would still look better than if you never used Botox because the wrinkle would be more pronounced. 

Botox can very rarely travel to other parts of the body.  This is more commonly associated with higher doses used for non cosmetic purposes (for perspective, people with swallowing difficulties can have 100 units injected where as most cosmetic treatments are much less than this). 

I would certainly discuss your concerns with your injector but there is a reason so many people are receiving treatments.  If everyone was having a problem with it then it would not be nearly as popular as it is. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox reassurance

Botox is one of a number of approved substances to address wrinkles of the face. You're correct that it decreases wrinkles by relaxing the muscles. The safe thing about Botox is that when you stop, it wears off completely, typically 3-5 months, and your muscles resume their normal function. After extensive, continued Botox use, the affected facial muscles may atrophy or shrink just like any other muscles in your body that go unused for a long period of time. Again, just like other muscles, they can bulk back up with exercise. Wrinkles that form by other signs of aging (volume loss and sun damage) will continue to form over time regardless of the presence or absence of Botox. As for spreading to other parts of the body, I don't know of any practitioners who have experienced that phenomenon.

Sounds like you have additional questions that could be answered by seeking a consultation with a trained and qualified injector, such as a board certified facial plastic or general plastic surgeon.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon