19 year old black female. How can I get rid of tear troughs? (photo)

For the longest time I've had these awful tear troughs and they keep getting worse and worse and I don't know what to do or why it's happening. The skin is very thin and I can easily feel the ridge of the bone when I run my fingers on it.

Doctor Answers 3

Tear troughs

Fillers can be very helpful in correcting tear troughs, but the whole face needs to be evaluated to determine where volume replacement will be more helpful.  Just injecting one area can cause the rest of the face to look unbalanced if you have volume loss in the cheeks, for example.  Seek an experienced provider for a thorough evaluation.

Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon

Tear trough fillers

Any of a number of fillers can be used to fill the tear tough area. The filler needs to be placed along the bone to provide a convexity to the malar or cheek complex. If I am filling multiple areas, I might even inject your own fat into this area; I think our own fat makes a great filler for certain areas of the face including the tear trough. Good luck.  

Michael P. Morrissette, DDS
Ventura Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Fillers Are Your Best Bet

The depth and darkness of our tear troughs are caused by several different factors: 1) genetics (if one or both or your parents have deep and dark eye bags); 2) level of fatigue and sleep hygiene; 3) The skin underneath the eyes is particularly thin, and therefore show a lot of darkness due to the large number of blood vessels in the area.

The best option would be to have the depressions under your eyes treated with a modest amount of hyaluronic acid fillers, such as Juvederm or Belotero. These products will lift and balance the depression under the eyes, reducing the tired and sad look you currently have. 

It is always important to note that the darkness underneath the eyes is never completely reduced, as part of it is your natural pigmentation.

I hope that helps.

Philip A. Alves, MD
Toronto Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.