What is the procedure for surgery with Lap Band for a tummy tuck?

I am looking to get a tummy tuck next year and I have a small difference I have a lapband installed how do you go around that with liposuction and not causing it to be sticking out and noticeable?

Tummy tuck after lap band

It is very common for patients who have lap bands to have tummy tucks and most experienced plastic surgeons will have a good understanding of how to deal with the port.

Once you have reached your goal weight you should maintain that for several months before undertaking a tummy tuck or other body contouring surgery.  This will mean you are in good health and your surgeon can plan your surgery more exactly which will provide the best long term results.  I suggest a 3 month period of stable weight is enough to demonstrate that you can maintain this long term.

Most tummy tuck surgery involves liposuction but the instruments are highly unlikely to damage the port or make it stick out.

The port generally does need to be relocated because usually a repair of the rectus muscle divarication needs to be performed as part of your tummy tuck.  Although it is relocated, ultimately you will be able to feel it in much the same position as you could before the operation because after the muscle has been pulled back towards the midline, the port is moved laterally back to where it was initially placed.

Most lap ports used these days are slimline and even if you lose a huge amount of weight they are not noticeable or stick out excessively.  

All the best with your weight loss.

Kind regards,

Dean

Body contouring after lap band

I would wait a year after your lap band procedure so your weight stabilizes. Sometimes this may take 2 years. The lap band port usually is not affected by liposuction and is small enough that it is not visible. A tummy tuck is typically the same procedure but sometimes the port has to be repositioned depending on where it is attached to the rectus muscle. This can be done by your plastic surgeon during the tummy tuck. If the port is far enough from the center of your abdomen it may never even be visualized during the tummy tuck. Good luck!

Considerations for previous lap band and filling port in anticipation of future abdominal tummy tuck

The filling port can be a visualized during the abdominoplasty.  It may need to be relocated if there is a muscle plication performed.  The anchoring sutures may need to be removed, a new location may be chosen, and the port can be re-attached with sutures to hold it in place.  Liposuction cannulas can be positioned to work around the port.  The important thing is to disclose the presence of the port to the plastic surgeon before surgery and to mark its position the day of surgery.  Sometimes, it is helpful to get the input of the bariatric surgeon preoperatively.  I hope this assists you in your surgical care!

David N. Hing, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after Lap Band

It is generally not a problem to have a tummy tuck after having a lap band procedure.  The port can typically be adjusted during surgery to allow the muscles to be tightened and then re-positioned so your physician can adjust the volume in the lap band in the future.  I have not found that the port is any more noticeable after a tummy tuck than it was before.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

I have never seen the lap band port be an issue with abdominoplasty. But as another consultant said, make sure you are at a stable weight for at least 8-12 months before the TT

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

What is the procedure?

Congratulations on your weight loss with your lap band surgery!  Usually after a large amount of weight loss, the best surgery is a tummy tuck and the port for your lap band should be easily avoidable during the tummy tuck surgery (I have done several and never had a problem).  Usually the port is still not excessively visible or noticeable after the tummy tuck.  As far as the liposuction, this is usually used as an adjunct (additive) procedure to your love handle region if necessary.  Best of luck with your surgery and be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in operating on patients who have lost massive amounts of weight and make sure you have reached a stable goal weight prior to proceeding with surgery.

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck with Lap Band

This is a great question. The quick answer is that having a lap band and a lap band port in place should not affect your ability to have a tummy tuck.

Depending on the location of your port, it may or may not need to be moved during the surgery to allow for plication of your abdominal wall muscles. Just make sure you pick a plastic surgeon who is familiar with lap band ports and the techniques required to take proper care of them.

If in the process of re-contouring your abdomen, the port seems to be prominent, then it can be placed in a more discreet location. Usually, there is enough residual adipose tissue on the skin flaps and the port is low profile enough that it is not noticeable to someone looking at you. 

Just make sure when you go for your ocnsultation with you chosen plastic surgeon, you discuss your concerns in detail before surgery. Good luck to you and congratulations!

Lap Band and Tummy Tuck

It is not technically difficult to perform a tummy tuck after a lap band procedure. I usually speak with the surgeon who placed the lap band to make sure that there are no issues with the lap band. It is important that you are at your goal weight prior to the tummy tuck in order to have the best result. Congrats on your weight loss!

What is the procedure for surgery with lap band for a tummy tuck?

It is possible to have a full tummy tuck, even if you have had lap band surgery and have a port in your abdomen.  I have had several patients who have had active ports in place while having a tummy tuck procedure.  One can either work around the port or, if necessary, the port can be moved to a different position.  But don't worry having a lap band port in place should not prohibit you from having a tummy tuck.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon