Is Botox used around the mouth? My wrinkles are the worst in that area, from smoking I assume..... (photos)

I am 56 and starting to look 66.......my husband died of Lukemia 4 years ago, and when that happened, age took over my face.......can botox help me look a little younger?

Fillers Are Better Around the Mouth

Thank you for an excellent question. The non-surgical treatment of facial wrinkles is more popular than ever and can provide comprehensive results when provided by a skilled and experienced injector. I believe dermal fillers such as JUVÉDERM are the best treatment option for the lines and wrinkles that develop around the mouth. Fillers are designed to soften those lines by restoring volume. BOTOX and similar products, on the other hand, temporarily immobilize specific muscles which create wrinkles in the forehead and around the eyes. Combining fillers and BOTOX is common and may offer the results you want.

Burlington Plastic Surgeon

Wrinkles Around Mouth

Botox is a substance produced by a bacterium called Clostridium Botulinum. The drug works by weakening the muscles that cause wrinkles. After injection, the muscle gradually relaxes, and the lines diminish substantially.

Dermal Filler is an injectable gel made of cross-linked hyaluronic acid and is administered with lidocaine. It is injected into the skin to temporarily add volume to facial tissue, smooth wrinkles and folds. 

Typically a combination of both Botox and fillers are used to treat this area.

I'd recommend booking a consultation with a skilled and qualified injector to determine if you're a good candidate for these procedures. 

Take care. 

Botox

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox.

Botox can help soften the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, while fillers can be used for more prominent lines around the mouth. Lasers are an additional option to help reduce the appetence of wrinkles. Depending on your desired goals and to be sure what treatment is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Fillers better

Fillers would be a much better solution for the wrinkles around your mouth. I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist in your area (link below) to discuss your non-surgical facelift options. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Mouth Lines -- Best Treated with Fillers and Lasers/RF

Botox has little effect here and I find is never worth the cost. I suggest filler and laser treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox for facial aging and lip lines

Thank you for asking about Botox for you mouth.

• I am so sorry you lost your husband. 
  • Botox will reduce the lip lines -
  • Skin care and fillers can help too.
  • If you can possibly stop smoking (hard when you have been under stress), it will make a huge difference too.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Is Botox used around the mouth? My wrinkles are the worst in that area, from smoking I assume.....

Botox Cosmetic® is used by advanced aesthetic physicians to soften the appearance of fine lines around the mouth. The recently-FDA approved filler Restylane Silk® is even better for filling in those fine lines around the mouth, and results are very long-lasting. Please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a cosnultation.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Botox for lip lines

Thanks you for your question.  Botox can be used for the following concerns around the mouth:
1)  Reducing a gummy smile
2)  Softening the vertical lip lines
3)  Decreasing the dimpling of the chin
4)  Raising the corners of the mouth.

More commonly, however, fillers are used to soften the fine lines and fill in shadows around the mouth, and even add fullness and smoothness to the lips.  I would recommend a visit with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist in your area.

Botox and other options for peri-oral and facial wrinkles.

Dear sandykirkley:

Thank you for sharing your photo. More photos and an in-person consultation is recommended for you to achieve your desired results which may include Botox.

I am sorry for your loss and certainly the death of a loved one is very stressful. Your photo suggests moderate sun damage and the light hair and blue eyes with thin skin of northern European descent. Add to this your history of smoking, age the possible peri-menopausal changes occurring at this time are all reasons to note concern over the physical changes in your facial appearance. I am providing a list of non-surgical, minimally invasive and surgical options to review with a Board Certified and well experienced Plastic Surgeon or ENT Facial surgeon or Dermatologist.

Please consider that there are various ways to reduce skin laxity, sun-damage, lines and wrinkles. Each depends on the level of the wrinkle deformity, ie., epidermis, dermis, fat, muscle and skin color.

The most popular of the fillers, Restylane and Perlane, a jelly-like clear skin filler is used to fill lines, wrinkles and folds. Juvederm and its longer lasting "cousin" Juvederm Ultra Plus are similar skin fillers, used to soften and fill the nasolabial ("parentheses") and marionette folds, the brow ("number 11") lines and fill and lift the cheeks and lateral brow or chin. Voluma and Lyft are the longest lasting HA fillers, up to 2 years and 1.5 years duration HA. Each one is used to expand, project or volumize the loss of tissue associated with expression, weathering or aging. All the fillers come with numbing anesthetic!.
Restylane Silk is a wonderful new addition to the filler family. It is thinner and smoothening, particularly for the lines around the mouth and lips. I have also found it useful for the crow's feet and forehead lines too.

Non-surgical facial contouring is possible with fillers such as Radiesse, a bone mineral for the nose or cheeks, jaw and chin as well.

Scuptra is the latest of the injectibles stimulation collagen at different levels of the skin adding volume but primarily firming and adding resistance to the formation of wrinkles, folds and descent.

Botox and Dysport too have been found to rebalance excessive facial expression, provide a non-surgical brow lift and lip lift and reshape the nose, as well as reducing wrinkles even around the mouth!

Dr. Obagi's new, second generation ZO Skin Health programs may be added to personalized chemical peels, light and laser resurfacing and tightening and will, smoothen and even the color of your skin.

IPL and fractionated lasers such as CO2 and erbium and now RF (radiofrequency) are additions to smooth the texture of the skin, tighten and reduce red and brown uneven pigmentation.

Face and neck lifting options will improve skin laxity and redrape skin excess but not fully improve skin texture, skin pigmentation and blemishes.

All surgical, minimally invasive and non-invasive procedures and their combinations should be discussed following a proper examination with a fully experienced physician who performs all of these options so you will not receive a biased approach because he or she are limited in their skills.

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Botulinum toxin use around mouth.

Botulinum toxin can be used, in a very small amounts, around the mouth to soften vertical lines.  However, most patients are unhappy with the "Botox only" treatment for this problem.  It is highly ineffective for deep vertical lines around the mouth, especially in smokers.  I personally do not like injecting Botox in the upper lip because of possible drooping that can occur.  Botox has only been available since 1996 ( only 20 years ) for cosmetic use.  In those 20 years, I have found very few patients happy with this treatment alone. 

What I typically recommend for patients is the following: Juvederm filler for the lips (vermillion and body), and CO2 laser resurfacing of the skin.  This has the greatest and best results for peri-oral wrinkles.  Even during facelift procedures, due to the fact that a facelift cannot change the peri-oral region, I usually suggest Juvéderm and CO2 laser.  I might even recommend a light CO2 laser for the rest of your face to treat the aging skin.  Best of luck to you. 

Dr David Mueller, DDS,FABOMS

David P. Mueller, DDS
Virginia Beach Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon