Can this piece of fat be exercised off or does it need plastic surgery? (photos)

I am 125 pounds and have very lean body, I was just wondering if there was any exercises to get rid of this or if it need actual plastic surgery??

Doctor Answers 9

Armpit Fat

The area under your arms is either fatty tissue  or loose skin around the
armpit . It can become very resistant to diet and exercise. Fortunately, there are some cosmetic surgery procedures available that can help to get rid of armpit fat for good,
and most do not require a lot of downtime. These treatments are typically performed under local anesthesia.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Armpit fat

I have seen several patients with this concern, and it can be treated. I you are near your ideal body weight, it is unlikely more dieting and exercise will help. However, you should try that first. Liposuction could help this. Another more conservative option is Kybella, injections which dissolve the fat.This would be done off-label as the FDA has only approved this to treat the area under the chin. Discuss the options with your surgeon.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

Front bra roll?

The area by your front bra is either fatty tissue or loose skin. You would have to be evaluated in person.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Small bit of fat

Hello. Your axillary fat can be addressed by small volume liposuction with the appropriate post-op garment. There is no exercise that will diminish localized fat deposits. 

Be well


Carlos Burnett, MD, FACS
Westfield Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Underarm roll in thin woman

Thank you for asking about your underarm tissue.

  • You appear to have a small amount of 'accessory' breast tissue.
  • If the tissue is fatty, liposuction can reduce it.
  • If not, it needs a minor procedure to remove it surgically.
  • Weight loss can decrease its size if it has fat - 
  • But if you are at or below a normal weight, it is best to not lose more weight. 
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Can this piece of fat be exercised off or does it need plastic surgery?

Thank you for your question.  As you are already quite lean I doubt that exercise alone will improve this area of excess adipose tissue and would recommend a small volume liposuction procedure in your doctor's office.  

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 68 reviews


Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a small liposuction to the area.  I frequently perform in patients with very similar concerns.  It can be done under local anesthesia and is a quick procedure. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with.  I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 131 reviews


That area is a bother for many people, and I treat it regularly. A small amount of my liposuction can help to improve the appearance. It will be a brief procedure, but technically it is plastic surgery. Best to see a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area. Best of luck to you. 

James E. Chappell, MD
Annapolis Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews


That area of fat may not respond well to exercise and diet. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing liposuction options for that area.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.