I had a tummy tuck with hernia repair and now I have a hard spot and sharp pains near my belly buttons. Is this normal?

Post-Op Healing After Tummy Tuck and Hernia repair

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

While there could be different reasons for pain and lumps in the area of your surgery, it would be best to visit your surgeon for a follow-up to have the area examined and make sure that healing is progressing well. Good luck.

Tummy tuck post op

Thanks for the question. I recommend you to send your photos to us to give you the advice you need and want.

Kind regards  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Hernia repair

It is probably related to your hernia repair, but if you are concerned, you need to speak to you surgeon. Good luck.

Pain after tummy tuck

Thanks for your inquiry.  I suggest you call your surgeon to discuss.  Without an exam and the details of the procedure it is impossible to advise.  Good Luck.  

Belly button pain after tummy tuck.

Greetings,

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing umbilical area pain after your tummy tuck/hernia repair. The only way for you to find an answer to your problem would be a return to your plastic surgeon for an evaluation. 

This really can not be diagnosed or resolved without an examination.

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Revision/Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Tummy tuck with hernia repair

How long ago was your surgery? After a hernia repair, sometimes you can feel the stitches used to do the repair if you are thin. I would contact your surgeon for an in person evaluation to be sure it is nothing to worry about. 

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

I had a TT with hernia repair and now I have a hard spot and sharp pains near my belly button. IS this normal?

Thank you for sharing your question.  Unfortunately without more information it is difficult to offer definite advice, and your surgeon will be your best source of information as they can perform an in-person exam.  Your hard spot is most likely swelling, but it may also be a discrete fluid collection, scar tissue, muscle laxity, recurrent hernia, etc. so it is in your interest to speak with your doctor.  Hope this helps.

This could the result of many things and will depend upon the time after surgery and the physical exam.  I think the only reasonable thing to do is contact your surgeon.