How to get rid of excess fat in my cheeks?

I'm 18, and I've always had very full cheeks, especially from the side. I'm not overweight, but I could afford to lose a few pounds, probably. But even when I was at my lowest weight, my cheeks were still very full. I try to eat a healthy diet, but this is hard since I'm in college. So is there any way I can get rid of the excess fat in my cheeks without surgery?

Let's Get Cheeky!

The cheeks are best to leave alone as we age we loose fat in that area, although liposuction or fat pad removal (buccal) can be done. Facial contouring to other areas (like the jawline) can be done with fillers and botox which will provide more definition to the face. I recommend a formal consultation with an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Cheek reduction

Your question is best answered with an in-office exam.  It depends on where the fullness is.  If the face is already round, then trying to lift the cheeks with fillers will make it look worse.  If the fleshy part of the cheeks, then typically a fat pad removal will be your best choice.  This can be done in the office.  Seek out an opinion with a board-certified expert.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Excess fat in your cheeks

The contours of your face affects the way light and shadow are cast on your face, giving it its shape. As we age or lose weight, we lose facial volume. We look deflated and our skin looks saggy. Fillers and fat transfers can help address facial volume loss. 

When we are young, it is in our best interest to preserve this facial volume, as it will be lost in the future. Contouring the face by removing volume (liposuction) will likely result in needing to put volume back in the future. I would recommend keeping that youthful volume. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon