Is Laser Lipo always accompanied with traditional/Tumescent Lipo, and does doing so provide a better result?

Is LaswerLipo/Smart Lipo always accompanied with traditional/Tumescent Lipo, and does doing so provide a better result? If combining LaserLipo with Tumescent Lipo should the laser lipo be done first or should the Tumescent Lipo be done first, and does doing one first over the other, provide a better result??

Laser liposuction

Thank you for your question. The technique used may vary between surgeons, and which part of the body you are treating. However, I almost always do both the laser and traditional liposuction in the same procedure. Occasionally I might use one or the other if I'm just doing a touch-up of a small area. I like the concept of vacuuming out the injured fat cells that the laser destroys, and removing some of the tumescent fluid to help minimize unnecessary swelling. I hope that helps, and you might be interested in a video we made about the process.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring

I am not a fan of laser liposuction anymore, i find that ultrasound does much better.  and yes you should ALWAYS follow any energy based device with power assisted lipo.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Laser Lipo vs traditional lipo vs tumescent lipo

Tumescent Lipo is a liposuction technique that uses a local anesthetic solution to numb the fat in the area that is being treated before using suction cannulas to remove the fat. The solution is infused under the skin into the fat until the fat has a tumescent (i.e swollen) appearance. The solution also constricts the blood vessels in the fat reducing the amount of bleeding. This has made liposuction much safer and also makes it possible for the procedure to be performed while patients are awake. 

Traditional Lipo is usually performed under general anesthesia using just a small amount of the anesthetic solution, since there is no need for numbing the fat because the patient is asleep.

In Laser Lipo the fat is prepared with the tumescent technique and then a laser is used to melt the fat and heat up the skin to stimulate skin tightening. The melted fat is then removed using suction cannulas. Some physician will remove the fat first (without melting it) and then use the laser to heat up the skin to promote skin tightening. The use of the laser also reduces the amount of bruising and swelling afterwards because the laser coagulates the blood vessels reducing the amount of bleeding during the procedure. The results depend on the experience and skill of the physician performing the procedure.

Renata Wix-Harris, MD
Livingston Physician