Bleph, do I need to go to an oculoplastic or would any board certified surgeon do?

I want to get my upper eyelids clipped well you know what I mean one is kinda saggy not sure if genetic, aging or because of head injury I had 10 years ago that caused nerve damage. I read the possible risks and I am scared however it seems like a low risk procedure any thoughts ?

Blepharoplasty

Depending on the reason for your "saggy" eyelid, you may need a reconstructive procedure versus a cosmetic procedure. It is important to have a thorough eye examination to determine the exact nature of the appearance of your eyelids. It can be beneficial to to go to a plastic or eye surgeon who has had additional training in surgery of the eyelids and surrounding structures. The most important thing is to find a surgeon who you can comfortably communicate with and explain their findings as well as their treatment plan to help you reach your goals in a safe and effective manner. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Beverly Hills Physician

Blepharoplasty

Upper eyelid surgery to remove excess skin is a pretty straightforward procedure that can usually be done under local anesthesia in the office with the patient awake.  There are risks with any procedure but they can be easily avoided with a thorough surgeon.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can help you achieve the results you seek.  

Kimberly Lee, MD

Eyelid surgeon

Several overlapping specialties focus on eyelid surgery. It will be very clear when you consult with your surgeon whether or not they fit your needs, regardless of their board certification.

Charles S. Lee, MD

The answer really depends on the surgeon's experience and skills.  For upper blepharoplasty, as any other cosmetic procedure, the goal should be more youthful results in natural way!  See before/after photos of whichever surgeon you choose. In general, it is a good idea to go a subspecialist and for eyes, that is an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Oculoplastic or facial or general plastic surgeon

if you have nerve or other damage involving eyes or eyelids it may be wise to choose an oculoplastic surgeon as they are after all ophthamologists who have additional training focussing on plastic surgery of the eyelids.

William Jervis, Jr., MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty, do I need to go to an oculoplastic surgeon or would a board-certified facial plastic surgeon do?

Without a full set of photographs and an in-person examination, it is very difficult to give an answer to your question. A traditional upper blepharoplasty can be performed by either an oculoplastic surgeon or a facial plastic surgeon. Extensive trauma and nerve damage may better be well served by an oculoplastic reconstructive surgeon. In experienced hands, risks are very low. Look for a the busiest eyelid surgery you can find in your area with an extensive portfolio of before-and-after blepharoplasty procedures.

Eyelid surgery is not a low risk procedure.

A variety of complications arise with eyelid surgery.  For this reason, you need to carefully consider who does your surgery.  While oculoplastic surgeons are the most extensively trained in eyelid plastic surgery, many of them are primarily focused on reconstructive, insurance based surgery.  Not all are equipped to offer cosmetic surgery.  With you history of head trauma, you would probable benefit from the detailed assessment you should get from an oculoplastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty expertise

Any board certification will certainly NOT do as there are doctors board certified in emergency medicine practicing blepharoplasty surgery. While board certification in "core fields"  - plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery and oculoplastics is important, it is very easy to get lost as there are many "boards" that offer certification that are not approved by the American Board of Medical Specialties. 

Once you check for board certification in a core field (and ABMS approved!), go with a personal recommendation from someone who has had it done (with results that you like!) and interview the surgeon. Personal connection with your surgeon is very important as so much of this has to do with trust. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty: seeking an oculoplastic surgeon for complicated cases

Blepharoplasty is a surgery to improve the shape of the eyelid for symmetry, excess skin, herniating fat, or appearance. 

For patients with complex eyelid issues (trauma, significant difference in eyelids, vision problems), I refer them to my oculoplastic surgeon. As an expert in the eyelid, the oculoplastic surgeon can diagnose both medical and surgical conditions for a safer outcome. If you have one available to you, seek out their opinion. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Who to go to for eyelid surgery

There are many types of doctors who perform blepharoplasty. You should make sure the doctor who treats you has much experience in this procedure as well as expertise in managing any potential complications. Best of luck,

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon