Am I a good candidate for a hair transplant? (Photos)

I am 38. Started loosing hair ~21. Using minoxidil + finasteride since 25. No alopecia on father' side; completely bald grandpa on mother's side. Considering my particular hair loss pattern, donor area and with a long-term vision in mind, would I be a good candidate? If so: 1. Would you recommend FUE or FUT? 2. Approx. how many grafts? 3. Would I need to keep taking fin+mino? 4. Would I need 2nd transplant later to keep up with the balding spot? Your expert opinions are much appreciated.

Hair transplantation

The pictures you provide SUGGEST that you are a good candidate, but direct examination of the quality of the hair in the donor areas is critical to determine how good a candidate.  The other major consideration is what your expectations are - hairline advancement, crown area filling, progress of alopecia, etc.  FUE or FUT can both be successful, but the main issues are WHO is actually performing the surgery, and WHAT is done to the grafts after the surgery.  I have had a dramatic improvement in graft survival using an oxygen spray with an amino acid solution.  The greater the survival the better the result, and the fewer stages needed long term for progressive hair loss problems.

If you want to have a hair transplant surgery, it is best to see a doctor for a consultation. Photos of your head does not mean

If you want to have a hair transplant surgery, it is best to see a doctor for a consultation.  Photos of your head does not mean you would be a good candidate.  If you have the wrong expectation or unrealistic goals you would be a bad candidate.  
FUE or FUT are harvesting methods and doesn't necessarily pertain to results. 

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

D candidate for a hair transplant? (Photos)

Thank you for your question and photos. You would be a great candidate for hair transplant. I would recommend to set up a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Also I would recommend FUE and in our practice we use Neograft. You may need two procedures depending on your goals. In each set trim we perform Upto 2500 grafts. Good luck.

Am I a good candidate for a hair transplant

You are an excellent candidate for a hair transplant. If your hair is not fine but rather of a medium or greater weight, the chances of a single hair transplant getting you a reasonable head of hair is good. People with fine hair, on the other hand, often take two sessions of transplants to get the results they want. You have what is called a Class 3V pattern of hair loss and you should come to our office and get examined as you are not far away.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Candidacy for hair transplant in a significant crown pattern

jnajarro,
Thank you for presenting your case.It all depends on what your goals and expectations are. The photos provided do not give adequate information to complete an evaluation of your condition. It does look like the thinning is extending forward into the mid-scalp and frontal areas. It is important to closely examine this. The crown loss is already extensive, and it seems like it is dipping further down, so you are probably not done here. All this while you having the good foresight to be on Propecia and Rogaine for 13 years. It is my impression that you have more hair loss than hair remaining. This is the sad reality for those of us that go on to develop advance male pattern alopecia. Proceed with caution, your donor is limited and precious. You cannot afford any mishaps!

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Candidate?

yes, you are definitely a candidate. Further evaluation to determine the quality of your donor area would give me more information. I would rec FUE, as you may very well need another procedure in the future. The number of grafts would depend on what your goals are: filling the bald spot would require a significant number, and if you are also looking at advancing your frontal hairline, that could add a lot more grafts, as well. Comfortably, we can perform about 2500 grafts in a day. You may need more. Yes, it is recommended that you continue Minixidil and finasteride as preventative measures. 
Best 

Kirk Moore, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon