Lost weight - skin isn't rebounding. Daughter passed away & the sadness has aged me more. I don't want to feel old & ugly.

I'm not rich & can't afford a procedure that won't last. I need eye & neck lift, breast reduction, excess skin removal & lypo everywhere. It would be great to have a butt again. I'm 48. Where do I start? How, do I discover what I'm looking at in total cost and missed work for recovery? I need to determine if I can even afford treatments. I know each of us are different and without seeing me in person you can only guestimate, but I would truly value that guestimation.

Facelift, Blepharoplasty, Liposuction with Breast Reduction and Possible Body lift

Your bakedfish, First and foremost I want to tell you that I am so sorry for your loss. I can not imagine the loss of a child and how the constant pain and sadness must lay heavy on your heart. Some photographs would be needed to see if you are a candidate for facelift and upper lid blepharoplasty surgery as well as the other procedures you have discussed. If you are a candidate for these facial procedures and since you have limited financial resources I would suggest starting with your facial procedures first. Each time you look in the mirror and see a sad and pained face it is a constant reminder of your loss so perhaps seeing a rejuvenated you will bring a smile on your face some days and you will feel better about yourself.  These facial procedures are typically less expensive then a breast and body lift and will be a good place to start and should last you a long time when performed in expert hands. Real self is a good place for you to begin looking for a surgeon, seek some complimentary consultations and review before and after photographs, check your candidacy for the procedures you desire and once determined what would be the best surgical plan then your surgeon can quote you a fee. I hope this is helpful to you. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Planning body make over after weight loss

Thank you for asking about your surgical planning.

• First - I am very very sorry for your loss. 
  • It sounds as though you lost a lot of weight.
  • Make a list of the areas that bother you most - 
  • And if you can decide, start with the face - the eyes and neck.
  • Then you have have an upper body lift with breast reduction.
  • Then a lower body lift assuming it is needed.
  • These would be 3 sessions of major surgery - they could not be done all at once.
  • The facial surgery - depending on what is done might be $8000 - $12,000 very very roughly.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Decide slowly

As a parent, it is hard to even think about losing a child. I am so sorry for your loss and what you are going through.  
I am sure you have thought about the procedures you inquired about, but I would move slowly.  Stress and loss can often cause all of us to make hasty decisions, particularly in areas that might give relief, offer distraction, or provide a pick me up. However, while recovering from cosmetic facial procedures, patients can sometimes experience a phase of depression.  If you add a financial stress as well, that can compound the problem.  You may not want to add these things to your plate until you are prepared for these realities of cosmetic surgery. 
That being said, when you do feel ready I would break up the procedures into smaller chunks. Neck lift and eyelid lift (blepharoplasty) are commonly performed together. The recovery is relatively easy and with minimal discomfort, but you will need to take it easy for at least 1 week.  With photographs, I could give you a more accurate quote.  As for the body procedures, I would have to defer to a general plastic surgeon that specialized body contouring. 
Sorry if my response is a downer, but I would hate for you not to have a great experience because the timing isn't quite right yet. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. My thoughts will be with you and your family. Take care. 

Robert Brobst, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery and a neck lift

The realself.com platform is an excellent way to find a  surgeon, and do your homework about the procedure you're interested in having done.  Eyelid surgery and a neck lift can be combined  together, while the liposuction and  breast reduction can be performed as a secondary procedure. The primary goal of upper eyelid surgery is to remove excess skin creating  the tired look, while the primary goal for lower eyelid surgery is to remove the fatty deposits creating the puffy look. In our practice, a neck lift procedure involves removal of fatty deposits above and below the platysmal muscle in the neck, along with a platysma plasty.  Patients must have excellent skin tone, since there is no excess skin removal with that procedure. When patients have poor skin tone in the neck, a lower face and neck lift is performed to tighten loose and inelastic skin.

Sagging Skin and Treatment

It sounds like you need a full body transformation. This will not be cheap by any means if done by an expert.  Do not compromise your care for cost or distance.  I suggest a formal consultation with a specialist.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lost weight - skin isn't rebounding.

Hi, I have performed many facelifts over the past 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  You may want to start on rejuvenating the face for a more youthful, naturally beautiful face.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.

I you have "Jowls", they represent sagging facial tissues and are an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured.  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

•very small incisions
•minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
•can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without anesthesia
•no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
•excess fat can be removed
•excess skin removed
•cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
•most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I tell potential facelift patients to think of creating a more beautiful or handsome face by working on three tissue levels.  The bony structure should be appropriate to make a woman’s face heart shaped and a man’s face chiseled and angular which is described below.  Next the fatty layer should be reduced or shaped allowing the shape to be seen and finally excess SMAS and skin evidenced by the presence of jowls) should be removed from the face and neck.

Hope this helps.

Lost weight, multiple procedures of interest

As you said it is very difficult to even make a guess without examining you but at least we can give you some direction.  As you are talking about many procedures all over the body, it is unlikely they all can be done in one surgery as this would not be safe or practical.  Based on the areas you have described it may make sense to have the facial procedure, ie necklift with eyes in one surgery then have a second surgery for breast reduction, liposuction with fat transfer to the buttocks for instance.  In terms of recovery, both procedures would require around 2 weeks off from work.  Ultimately you will have to see a board certified plastic surgeon to determine exactly the cost of these procedures in your area.  I hope this gives you some idea, the best place to start would be a consultation with surgeon! Good luck!

Dino R. Elyassnia, MD

Lost weight - skin isn't rebounding.

Thanks for your question.  It is impossible to guess how much work you need and what your priorities are so my suggestion is that you seek a complimentary consultation with a board certified (ABPS) plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options.  Keep in mind that doing too much surgery at one time is not wise and you may wish to prioritize according to your budget and needs.  Discuss all of this with at least one or more plastic surgeons with good reputations and spend some time choosing your options.
In the interim do some research on web sites like RealSelf to learn more about each procedure.
Good luck and best wishes,

Jon A. Perlman MD FACS
Associate Clinical Prof. of Plastic Surgery, UCLA Medical Center
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Plastic Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD