I had my tummy tuck eight months ago. Does this look normal? (Photo)

The top part of my abdomen is puffy. My bellybutton is still swollen after he gave me a Cortizone shot. My skin is really wrinkly when I've been overdue to stretch marks and a little bit of stretched skin. Is there any other procedure that I can do to improve the contour of my stomach area?

Need before surgery photos

It would be helpful to see before surgery photos to see the change.  Also, it seems like you may have benefited from more tightening of the muscles above the belly button in order to get a flatter tummy.  Have you lost weight after surgery and if so how much?  

Post op tummy tuck

Based on the pictures you have a hypertrophic scar at the bottom of your belly button.  It could be treated with additional steroid injections or by a scar revision. The appearance of the upper part of your tummy is most likely due to laxity of your abdominal muscles. This can happen if the muscle weren't tightened enough at the time of your surgery or by stretching of the covering over the muscles.   Another possibility could be some residual fat in the upper part of your tummy.   Unfortunately if you have laxity in your abdominal wall it would require a revision of your tummy tuck. If the fullness is  due to excess fat it could be treated with liposuction. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon. It can take a full year to heal from a tummy tuck.  

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

8 months post tummy tuck

Dear tweetybird,

Thanks for submitting you pictures. From observing your pictures, you appear to have abdominal muscle laxity from the upper belly to below the belly button and your left waist is not well defined. It would have been helpful to see your picture shortly after surgery.

In any even, your present condition is either because your muscles were not tightened as part of your tummy tuck surgery or you were too active too early and stretched the muscles before the repair was strong enough.

You should discuss your situation with surgeon . To get a flat stomach with well defined narrow waists and nice belly button, you will have to redo your tummy tuck .  As long as you follow strictly the post operative instructions, the redo surgery will give you flat stomach , narrower waists and nicer belly button.

Always consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Moat importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery , to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive. 

Dr Widder

Puffiness

This is difficult to assess without an examination.  I would encourage you to follow up with your surgeon to manage your concerns properly.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Postop swelling will resolve some

Thanks for your question. Overall you look to have a great result. The top part of the abdomen can be a little puffy compared to the bottom because it cannot be pulled as tightly from the bottom. There is a limit to how much it can be thinned out b/c it can affect the blood supply to the skin. Toning the abdominal muscles will help some, but it does take a full year for everything to mature. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD