Any suggestions on how to sleep comfortably after breast augmentation?

I'm 6 days post op and have had a very difficult time sleeping. I generally sleep on my stomach/side. I've been sleeping on back with pillows propped up and wake up with back aches or barely sleep. Tried sleeping on my side and its alittle uncomfortable and feel like I'm squishing implant. Any suggestions for comfortable sleep?

Breast augmentation - uncomfortable. How to sleep?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation recovery.
  • Sleeping on your back gives most people severe back pain.
  • Put a pillow under your legs to sleep.
  • And do exercises to stretch out your back -
  • The problem is spasm of back muscles.
  • I tell my patients sleeping on the side is fine - ask your surgeon if it's ok to do thjis.
  • You will get less back pain and after a week, should not affect healing.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Sleeping after breast augmentation.

In the short term, there may not be a great solution other than to sleep on your back. Most patients will eventually find a way to sleep comfortably after breast augmentation. Be patient and try to make yourself as comfortable as possible while so soon after surgery.

Joel M. Stewart, Jr., MD
Newnan Plastic Surgeon

Post operation sleeping

Post operative sleeping can be difficult for most since typically only one position is recommended for the first couple of weeks - on your back. Being a week post-op now, I would advise that it is OK to sleep however you feel is most comfortable. I might suggest a sports bra that is not too tight, but provides adequate support while you are sleeping. Just to be sure I would call your plastic surgeon and confirm with him what he would like your sleeping habits to be the first couple of weeks. He could also help if you continue to experience pain preventing you from sleep. 
Best wishes

Traci Temmen, MD

Sleeping position after augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, at 6 days post op , you need to be sleeping on your back and elevated as well.  Try and be patient, in a few weeks you will feel less sore and gradually go from back to your sides (with pillows) and back to stomach sleeping .

Chad Robbins, MD

S/p BA

Best to check with your operating surgeon about their specific postop instructions. They know what they did at  surgery and what you should and should not be able to do. They can also discuss options for sleep meds if appropriate.

Comfortable sleep.

Following breast augmentation surgery there is always the possibility of the implants shifting during the first 4-6 weeks especially. We recommend patients sleep either on their back or on their side during this time and also recommend that our patient wears a comfortable sports bra to keep an amount of support while sleeping. I am sorry to hear you have trouble sleeping. Contact your plastic surgeon to see what his advice is and if he recommends you any sleeping aid medications. After 6 weeks you are free from all restrictions and can sleep however with no worries. 
Best wishes
Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Sleep po

It's always best to check on your surgeon's sleeping protocol. I tell my patients that they can sleep any way they wish from the night of surgery on. I also tell them that they and their implants are not that fragile and not to worry about "squishing" the implants. By the fifth day after surgery, to help them sleep, I suggest that they take some anti-inflammatories and Valium if they can tolerate these medications. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Good luck to you.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon