Am I a good candidate for Kybella?

Hello! I am a fairly thin female but I've noticed that I have this layer of fat under my chin now. I am worried that as I get older, it will worsen. My concern with kybella is that I am not sure of the side effects it will have on me since I have an autoimmune disease ( hoshimotos/hypothyroid). Is there a potential of my condition worsening? Also will this procedure give me a more defined jawline? Thank you for any help!

Am I a good candidate for Kybella?

Hello Mb0415,

Unlike most other treatments, the candidacy for Kybella depends on an in person evaluation.  The reason is that there are two locations for fat to be in the neck: in front of a muscle and behind it (called the platysma).  Kybella only treats the fat in front of this muscle.  The nice thing is it will dissolve the fat in the double chin.  The less fat you have the fewer treatments and vials you will need.  As far as jawline definition, that depends on your anatomy.  It won't help with loose skin so if that is the problem, there are other surgical and non surgical treatments that can help.  

As far as side effects there have been no reports of it affecting Hashimoto's thyroiditis that I have seen.  You may want to check with your primary care doctor or rheumatologist or endocrinologist who follows you for that disease, but I wouldn't have any worries treating my patients.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella

My best advice would be to see a board certified dermatologist or board certified facial plastic surgeon who is expertly trained in Kybella to determine IF you are a candidate for Kybella. Kybella is an excellent tool to remove submental (under the chin) fat permanently. There is no data that Kybella would affect your Hashimoto's thyroid disease. If you are a candidate, you would absolutely expect an improvement in the definition in your jawline. Best of luck!

Lesley Rabach, MD

Am I a good candidate for Kybella?

Kybella® is wonderful for defining the jawline and melting neck fat. It is a detergent molecule that ahs not been studied in patients with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. As with any cosmetic procedure, get clearance from your endocrinologist to get Kybella® injections before getting the treatment.  

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Kybella

It is important to have an exam to see where your fat is located as previously mentioned here. If it is deep to the muscle Kybella will not give you the results you are looking for but if it is above the platysma muscle, and most patients do have this location more, you are a candidate to have Kybella. I have found that Kybella works well but takes 2 to 4 treatments. If you have loose skin, you may be better off with a different treatment like thermi tight and liposuction which is why it is important to see a board certified plastic surgeon that offers all types of treatments and will give you the best options for your situation.

W. John Bull, MD

Kybella

Kybella is an efficacious non surgical treatment for submental fat that offers permanent fat reduction and contours. It is typically done in a series of 2-4 sessions depending on individual need and candidacy. I would recommend an in person exam which is the only way to determine your candidacy. Best wishes. 

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

Kybella and autoimmune disease - safe to proceed

Kybella has not been shown to affect autoimmune diseases like Hashimoto's.  I have many patients with hypothyroidism and various other autoimmune conditions that safely get Kybella injections.  Patients with excess fat beneath the chin, as you describe, are usually good candidates for treatment with Kybella.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Is Kybella contraindicated in patients with thyroid disease?

It is true that Kybella is injected in the vicinity of the thyroid gland but to my knowledge there is no contraindication that an injection of Kybella will disturb your thyroid function. However,I would consult your endocrinologist for their opinion before proceeding. 

Joel E. Kopelman, MD, FACS
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Kybella

It is used to treat a local area in the submittal region.  The issue is whether or not you are an appropriate candidate which requires and exam.

Kybella candidate?

The treatment for double chins really requires an exam. That's because it is very difficult with just a photo to determine the amount of fat directly beneath the skin and above the muscle. Fat beneath the muscle is not supposed to be treated and it all depends on your skin elasticity. Good luck.

Am I a good candidate for Kybella?

Thank you for sharing your question.  Unfortunately without a full series of photographs, or an in-person examination, it is difficult to offer definite advice and I would recommend seeing a series of ASPS board certified plastic surgeons to assess your candidacy.  The best patients for Kybella are those with adipose-only excess in the lower chin region and no skin laxity.  Hope this helps.