Am I eligible for a breast reduction? I'm 20 5'2 and I'm around a 32 J.

At age 12 I was already a C and from there my breats has been growing rapidly. Now that I'm 20 and a waitress I'm experiencing a lot of back and shoulder pain. I have bra strap marks and some are permanent. I believe my breast are still growing, but I can't bare the pain. I'm currently a 32 J

Breast Reduction

Hello,As the others mentioned, it's a long process. It will probably take you at least a year and possibly longer to 'build a case' for medical eligibility for breast reduction.  Now what I'm about to tell you is also not good news. The industry is making it more difficult to cover this procedure. Fewer quality plastic surgeons with expertise are taking insurance at all these days, and far less are 'in-network providers' who won't balance bill you after the procedure. My recommendation is look towards financing this surgery and paying cash.  There are a few good institutions that finance plastic surgery. The time it takes you to get insurance to 'pay' for it (and you still end up owing out of pocket expenses, deductibles, and balance bills from  your surgeon), you could be healed from your surgery that would likely be more beautiful and complication free from a highly experienced surgeon who no longer deals with the insurance debacle any longer. Best of luck!

Eliible for breast reduction

Thank you for your question. You most certainly are a candidate for breast reduction. The problems that you describe will not go away with anti inflammatory medications, massage, physical therapy or chiropractic manipulation. Start at your family doctor and tell him or her about your problems. It is important to have these issues documented in order to have the insurance company deem it medically necessary. Then, consult with a  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area and ask all the questions you can think of. In my experience, breast reduction patients are the happiest patients. Typically their only regret is not having the procedure when they were younger. At your size, you will be avoiding a lot of physical issues down the road  if you address them now. Good Luck,Michael Morrissey, MD

Breast reduction

By your description, it sounds like you should be a candidate for a breast reduction. Best to be evaluated in person.

Can I get insurance coverage for a breast reduction?

If you are having problems like that, your insurance should cover your procedure of a breast reduction. We take photos, history and send that to your carrier to see what they will do. I do this as an outpatient with about a two week recovery.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

it sounds like you may be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery and your insurance may cover the cost.  You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who can help you with the pre authorization process.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast reduction

as long as you are healthy with no medical problems, you are the ideal candidate. A breast reduction will improve the appearance of your breasts and it will drastically improve your quality of life without the extra weight on your shoulders and your back. 

Based on your breast size and symptoms, it sounds like you are a good candidate for breast reduction surgery. Consultation and examination by your local plastic surgeon should provide you with the information you need to move forward with surgery. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes. Dr. Gregory Park, San Diego Plastic Surgeon.

Gregory Park, MD

Am I eligible for a breast reduction?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your description, it appears that you would be a good candidate for a breast reduction provided that you're not a smoker and your weight is stable.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Eligible for breast reduction?

Thank you for you question and you sound like you are a good candidate for a reduction.  This procedure will help you with your neck, back pain and shoulders.  You most likely have stopped growing but you could still grow more but you will need to consider benefits verses the risks of doing this now.  To get this covered by insurance will take some time and will have to through a course of conservation therapy first but all insurance companies have different criteria for approval and I would visit a board certified plastic surgeon who can work with you and help you achieve a realistic result.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Hi  and thanks for your question. From your history is certainly sounds like you are an excellent candidate for breast reduction. Make sure that you see a very experienced board-certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. That's my buys after 30+ years performing cosmetic plastic surgeryBest of luck. Richard Chaffoo,MD, FACS, FICSTriple Borad Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS