How long post op do I need to be really careful about getting hit in the face? My job has that potential.

Be Extra Cautious for the First 2 Months

I'm very curious about what you do for work. It's tough to give you a specific answer to this. In general, however, I'd recommend exercising additional caution in the workplace for up to 2 months. The bones in your nose heal fairly quickly, but other structures are still susceptible to injury. Additionally, your nose will still be quite tender, so any impact is likely to hurt a great deal more in the immediate post-op phase than it would be later on. Good luck as you heal!

Tucson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Avoid trauma after a rhinoplasty

For most facial procedures, 4 weeks would be about the minimum safe time to allow the healing process to adequately progress enough for the strength and integrity of the tissues to be able to bear up to most activities.

Lyle M. Back, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Avoiding injury after a rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question. It sounds like your job requires quite a bit of physical activity. In this case, the first thing to remember is that you should avoid strenuous exercise for 2 weeks after a rhinoplasty to guarantee a stable healing process. Furthermore, you should allow 6 weeks for your nose to "settle" and avoid even a mild trauma to your nose during this period of time. An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is always the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Facial Trauma After Rhinoplasty

Hi and thanks for your question.  Nasal bones actually heal very quickly-  in a week, the bones are almost impossible to move.  However, the nasal bones are not the only issue to worry about after a rhinoplasty.  Sutures in the cartilages can be torn with trauma.  I would say that 1 month would be enough healing to be safe, but I would still recommend being as careful as possible.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Trauma to the nose after a rhinoplasty procedure

Trauma to the nose should be avoided for the first six weeks after a rhinoplasty procedure, to prevent it from becoming broken more easily during the healing process. For more information in many examples, please see the video and the link below

Postoperative nasal trauma

It takes 3 weeks for the nasal bones to heal that they can withstand mild trauma.
Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healing after surgery

Without knowing exactly what surgery you had it's difficult to answer you completely. For nasal surgery, if the nasal bones were broken, it can take a good 6-8 weeks to fully heal. Facial fracture repair or facial implants carry their own inherent healing times. Obviously, a good shot to the face will do damage no matter how far postop you are.

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Healing After Facial or Nose Surgery

I assume that you are talking about healing after nasal surgery or rhinoplasty.  When the bones are broken in surgery to straighten a nose, re-align it, or narrow it, the healing process is not complete for about 6 weeks or so.  A good blow to the nose after surgery could still move the bones if it is within that healing period.  I recommend refraining from contact sports where that could happen for about 6 weeks.  If you are at all worried, I would suggest that you discuss this with your treating surgeon for their opinion.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and nasal trauma

In general, the nose will take a good six weeks for the bones to be solid and healed. However, a good  blow to the nose can cause problems at anytime.