How long before BA should I stop doing upper body exercises or does it matter? Going under the muscle.

Exercising after a Breast Augmentation

Here is what I recommend for my breast augmentation patients on activities, hope it helps. Two weeks post op: You may begin NON IMPACT cardio. This includes walking on a treadmill, using the elliptical machine without the use of your arms, stair climber, stationary bike, etc… Weight restrictions include not lifting anything over 10-15 pounds. No legs, core, chest, arms or upper back exercises allowed.
Two months post op:You may begin MODERATE IMPACT cardio, such as light jogging and workout classes like Zumba. Core and leg work is also allowed. Still no chest, arms, shoulder or upper back training.
Three months post op:You are unrestricted at this point, but remember to start slow with low weight (low means 2-3lbs!) and high repetitions. Do not do anything too fast or too heavy! Start doing push ups against a wall/counter, then knees and finally progress to the floor. Use resistance bands instead of pull ups. If you do Cross Fit or have a trainer, start with a modified workout. REMEMBER LIGHT WEIGHT AND HIGH REPS!

Exercising after a Breast Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Exercise before breast augmentation

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you.

Exercise all you like.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Breast Augmentation

Exercise before breast augmentation

Exercise all you like.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Breast Augmentation

Activity restrictions

I do not require my patients to alter their workout schedule before surgery, however post op restrictions are important. Each Plastic Surgeon will have their own preferred post op activity restriction protocols. Ask your Plastic Surgeon to talk with you about what you need to avoid after surgery.

All the best

Activity restrictions

All the best

Stopping exercising prior to breast augmentation

In my opinion, I would not tell my patients that they have to stop even competitive weightlifting prior to breast augmentation in the submuscular position. If you're waiting for the muscle to thin out that may take years. Certainly ask your surgeon that you've chosen to do your surgery what their recommendation is. Good luck with your breast augmentation.

Do I need to stop upper body work out preoperatively?

Unless you are doing heavy lifting, or are on a competitive level, you do not need to stop your exercising preoperatively. You should should discuss this with your surgeon and follow their recommendations since you chose them to do your surgery.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Workout

Staying active and healthy is important preoperatively.After surgery, restrictions for pectoral muscle activity are important to follow. Your surgeon will review this with you. Good luck.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Workout

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. There is no need to stop upper or lower body exercise prior to undergoing breast augmentation surgery.   Your plastic surgeon will guide you postoperatively when it comes to resuming activities. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very happy with.

Breast Augmentation: Upper body exercise okay right up to surgery

Great question. Upper body exercises will not affect your surgical results. You don't have to stop before surgery. I have Triple Crown body builders who often will set up their surgery right after a competition so they can eat again. I recommend they wait until about six weeks after surgery before they start retraining.  

For further information on this subject and similar subjects, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Upper Body Exercises Ok Pre Breast Augmentation

There is no need to stop any kind of exercise prior to your breast augmentation. However, post operatively, I advise my patients to refrain from any kind of strenuous exercise (everything but light walking) for at least a month in order to promote proper healing. 

Breast Augmentation and upper body exercises

Every board certified plastic surgeon may have slightly different opinions, but it should not matter when you stop doing upper body exercises prior to surgery.
After surgery is a different matter, and I will limit the upper body exercises of my post augmentation patients for a couple of weeks.
In the occasional case that you are a competitive athlete sometimes above the muscle augmentation may be more appropriate for you. 
I hope that helps!

I hope that helps!