What type of upper blepharoplasty would be right to fix my hereditary excess upper eyelid skin? 37 year old female (Photo)

I put on that eyelid tape on one eye to compare what my ideal would be. As you can see the eye with the excess skin taped under looks so much better. What type of blepharoplasty would be right for me? Is it just skin removal or fat and muscle as well?

Upper lid blepharoplasty?

From your photo you appear to be a very good candidate for conservative upper lid blepharoplasty. Unless you are raising your eyebrows to take the photograph, I do not think you need a browlift procedure although I find them very beneficial under different circumstances.  Conservative removal of skin and a small amount of fat especially in the inner corner of your eye would be appropriate.  Meet with a board-certified and experienced oculoplastic or plastic surgeon to be sure you are confident in your choice. Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

What type of upper bleph is best?

You have shown a very nice desired end result with the use of the tape!

My typical approach in patients with similar anatomy to what you show in the picture is to perform skin removal with a conservative amount of fat removal from the medial fat pad compartment only.  

Rarely I may address redundant muscle or middle compartment fat, but that is much less likely.  A modern approach to upper blepharoplasty should avoid a hollow overdone look to the upper lids.

As another surgeon noted in his answer, you might also consider a conservative browlift at the same time.  This would need to be determined in person, but you might find that a subtle lift and support to the brow combined with treatment of the redundant upper eyelid skin may give you exactly the look you are hoping for.

David W. Rodwell III, MD
Charleston Facial Plastic Surgeon

What type of upper eyelid blepharoplasty would be right?

From the one single photograph, it appears that excess skin could be removed with an upper blepharoplasty and a small amount of fat removed from the medial compartment closest to the nose.  A properly designed upper eyelid blepharoplasty incision could also remove the small scar that is present and above the outer corner of the eyeid.  More information and many examples please see the link and the video below

Upper eye bleph

You would need a pretty standard upper eyelid blepharoplasty.  This would be removal of some skin and muscle.  You don't have much fat to start so no fat should be removed.  You don't have ptosis. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Type of Blepharoplasty

It looks like you need a pretty standard skin only blepharoplasty. These can easily be performed in the office setting using local anesthetic.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

You do not demonstrate ptosis in this photograph.

However you need more than just skin removed here.  I recommend an anchor blepharoplasty. This will help correct your eyelash ptosis.  This is all about structure not tissue removal.  No fat should be removed from your eyelid.  Less is more.

The procedure to correct excess skin of the upper eyelid would be upper blepharoplasty, and all though it is a hereditary condition, this is a cosmetic procedure. The excess skin will only get worse over time. Upper blepharoplasty is also known as an eyelid lift, but it is not an actual lift. Incisions are made so that skin can be removed and also so that fat can be added or removed. I do suggest scheduling a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to see which procedure would be best for you. Thank you for your question and good luck!

Sam Speron, MD

A traditional upper lid blepharoplasty (removing a conservative amount of skin and medial fat) would take care of your situation. Consult with an experience eyelid surgeon.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty or browlift?

WOW -Bravo to you. You are showing with the tape what a brow lift would do NOT an upper lid blepharoplasty.  In my opinion If you have an upper lid blepharoplasty you still look old because the brow will be too low. If you have a low hairline then you can do this endoscopically. however if your hairline is high you want to keep the hairline where it is or lower it which can be done with the technique that  we developed more than 35 years ago called the Irregular Trichophytic forehead lift.  Hair will grow through the incision rather than behind it therefore no scar is seen. See a very experienced surgeon with this technique. Look at his results.  I would advise you not to have an upper lid blepharoplasty. 

Skin only upper blepharoplasty, preserve fat/fullness

In regards to upper blepharoplasty, it is almost always best to remove skin only and not fat, to avoid surgical hollow look. See following link.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon