35 year old, Mother of 4, all C-sections, Avid Runner, Not so good dieting (Photo)

Hi! I have diastasis recti because of my four pregnancies and the doctor that already operated me an umbilical hernia suggests a Tummy Tuck and lipo on the flanks when he fixes my abdominal muscles. I am convinced of gdoing thi, but because of time issues I cant do it now. Does a combination of Coolpsculpting and Velashape would help my arms and tummy? What about my inner legs?

Coolsculpting versus Surgery

Coolsculpting is fabulous in areas like the flanks and abdomen that you can grab a bulge and "freeze".  The arms will work very well with coolsculpting.  The abdominal area may require plastic surgery from the photos provided.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in coolsculpting to recommend the best treatment for you.

CoolSculpting and Velashape

Thank you for your questions and the pictures. CoolSculpting and Velashape can both improve contour and help with troublesome pockets of fat. Based solely on your pictures, I might consider the surgical option on the abdomen for correction of your abdominal muscles first. The arms and the thigh might respond well with the less invasive therapies you mentioned.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Post-pregnancy body contouring options

Dear AnaMa:

Thanks for sharing your photos, They are helpful. Your body contour appears spectacular following 4 pregnancies with a little weight gain or fat redistribution which may also be related to aging too. 

Non-surgical procedures for fat reduction and skin tightening are very limited and will not flatten the tummy corset laxity following 4 pregnancies. You may wish to consider a tummy tuck to flatten the tummy corset, remove what little extra skin can be redraped, fix your belly button hernia and create a "new inny" belly button. The side-effect will be a longer incision where the C-section scar is, a limited amount of numbness in your lower tummy skin and a prolonged recovery time. You may consider liposuction in the areas of your flanks, arms and legs at the time of tummy tuck.

CoolSculpting, a non-surgical procedure for you otherwise thin appearance may be helpful along your flanks, arms and thighs. Velashape has no consistent or reliable skin tightening capacity in my experience. 

Please consider a well experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to evaluate you, your desires and what options are best for you. Keep up the great work! All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

To correct Diastasis Recti (muscle damage) you need surgery

Hi AnaMa,
It looks like most of your abdominal prominence is from muscle damage.  CoolSculpting will only reduce fat and not help with the muscle.  I would look into the surgical options first, as some liposuction could be done simultaneously, avoiding the need for CoolSculpting.  If fat remains afterwards, or you decide not to pursue surgery, then you could check out CoolSculpting.

Mario Loomis, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon