Would two weeks be enough time for recovery from a breast reduction and underarm lipo?

My surgery is scheduled for Feb. 18th, 2016. I took and entire month off due to my occupation and the work that's required of me ( RVT lifting 40-80lb animals all day) . I rented a cabin with a few friends the beginning of March and I don't plan on skiing or doing anything strenuous. My doctor plans on doing an Anchor scar incision and Lipo on the sides/armpit area. Are two weeks a normal recovery time for this type of operation ?

Time off

Thank you for the question and at 2 wweks you should be able to resume normal home activities but given the nature of your job, taking a full month off is a god idea.

Dr. Corbin

Time off

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dr. Corbin

Hard to define "recovered"

I always have a hard time answering the question "how long will it take to recover".  It depends on what you consider recovered.  If you mean "how long will I hurt?", it is highly variable.  If you mean "when can I go back to work?", it depends on the job.

You mentioned lifting "40-80 lb. animals".  To me that suggests dog legs bumping into your breasts all day.  In that situation, itmay mean 6 weeks or more before you return to work.

Discuss your job requirements with your surgeon and follow that advice rather than the advice we provide as general rules. 

Good luck with your surgery and your return to work.

Hard to define "recovered"

Recovery depends on job requirements

It sounds like your plan should work well for you. In my experience following this type of procedure most of my patients return to work in about a week in an office type setting. With your job requirements you should be able to do your job after four weeks. I wish you all the best with your procedure. 
Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Recovery depends on job requirements

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Hard to say. But in my private practice I ALWAYS recommend at least 4 to 6 weeks recovery for your combination of surgeries! 

Would two weeks be enough time for recovery from breast reduction and underarm lipo?

One thing you should know, is that every person and every incision heals differently. You breast reduction incisions can even heal differently on each of your breasts. To increase your chances of proper healing, you should be following ALL of your #post-operative instructions.

Returning to "normal" activities after #breast reduction surgery really depends on the type of job and your comfort level (pain). Most women are able to #return to work and normal or limited activities two weeks after having a breast reduction, but for some it may be longer. Full activity such as heavy lifting, sports and vigorous exercise without restrictions is safer after six weeks recovery.

Thank you for your question.  No online reviewer can make a specific recommendation without an examination.  In my practice when I do breast reduction I usually also incorporate liposuction to the lateral breast areas.  My patients are given pain medications and instructions on activity level.  Most of my patients report that they transitioned to tylenol or motrin within a couple of days and were driving and doing most sedentary activity as well.  Most of my patients take off one week but if one has the ability to take two then even better.  You should discuss this with your surgeon as approach and preexisting health, and amount to remove all weigh in on return to work.  Good luck.

Recovery Time for Breast Reduction

In my practice, I generally recommend two weeks off work following a breast reduction with lateral breast liposuction. After 2 weeks, you may still feel tenderness in the lateral breast area (the liposuction is usually the most tender area post-op). I usually recommend no heavy lifting for 2 weeks for patients with more sedentary jobs such as a desk job and 3 weeks for those who routinely do heavy lifting at work (greater than 20 pounds) or for jobs that are physically demanding. Ultimately, I would consult your surgeon for their recommendation.

Robyn Watts, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time for Breast Reduction

Robyn Watts, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon