Left side sagging and heavier after gynecomastia surgery. Do I need a revision? (Photo)

I had gynocamastia lipo 90% glandular excision surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago. Doctor said he removed about as much as a large lemon from both sides. I wore a compression sleeve for 4 weeks but I have noticed my left side drooping and sagging way more than the right side. I'm starting to think even early at only 4 1/2 weeks that skin tightning will not correct this. Based on what you see in photos do you think I will need a revision on the left side done over in 9 months. Thank you

Healing & Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery.
Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Too soon

Thank you for your question and photos.  In short, it is too soon to assess the results of your surgery.  I would wait at least a couple more months before bringing up the possibility of a revision to your operating surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Jose M. Soler-Baillo, MD

Gynecomastia revision

Hi Floyd1969,

Thanks for your question and photos. It is completely too early to tell for sure what is necessary and without an examination it would be difficult to say. But based on photos alone without an examination, my best guess is that you need more liposuction and releasing your fold on the left side to help it shrink to your pectoralis muscle better. But again, without an exam, its just a guess. But the body does shrink for sometimes up to a year after surgery. I recommend waiting and discussing your concerns with your plastic surgeon. If the tissues remains the same, then I would recommend a revision. Good luck.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

Carlos Mata, MD, MBA, FACS

It is too early to tell

Wait at least six months. It is too early to predict the final outcome.  Lose skin always requires skin excision.   

Vasdev Rai, MD