Juvederm is disappearing in 4 weeks after Dr injects it. Can I replace it with something else?

I got my injections into cheekbone. Already twice - both times (confirmed by doctor) they disappear in no more then 4 weeks. Can I replace it with something else? Why it happens? Is there any other product that gives volume and stays on? I got Juviderm sculptra and Juviderm volume

Sorry you are having this problem. 

May want to consider a different class of fillers.

I've used Radiesse and Artefill with good success when other fillers don't work well.

Replacing Facial Volume

Replacing facial volume is one of the procedures that I commonly do in the office.  Depending on how much volume and your type of skin there are different types of products that I would suggest.  Juvederm Voluma is an excellent product and should last about a year.  You may need more volume and that is why the injections are disappearing so rapidly.  The product may have also been injected incorrectly.  If Voluma is not lasting then I would suggest Sculptra.  Sculptra works by stimulating your own collagen naturally and lasts about two years.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with facial injections for the best cosmetic results.

Juvederm not lasting long

There are a couple reasons why the deep juvederm injection for your cheek augmentation is not having a lasting affect.

Firstly, there is a chance your body is absorbing the product faster than usual. Most hyaluronic acid fillers like juvederm, restylane, and perlane, typically last up to 12 months in the deep cheek area. Voluma, another hyaluronic acid filler, is even touted to last up to two years. But everyone absorbs the hyaluronic acid differently, so you may want to try a different class of filler. Sculptra (poly-L-lactic acid) has delayed results, but they can be long-lasting, especially if multiple treatments are performed. Radiesse (calcium hydroxylapatite) is another injectable filler that can last about a year.

Secondly, it may be that not enough filler is being injected. Deep cheek augmentation often requires multiple syringes of product to have a noticeable and long-lasting result. For example, when Voluma was being studied, an average of 6 syringes were used in the study-patients' faces!

All the best!

Geoffrey Pitzer, MD
Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm to the Cheeks

One of two things is going wrong - either the Juvederm is being injected too deep into the skin or you need a different type of filler to be injected for you to see the full effect.  Radiesse is a good option for the cheeks, but there are other options, as well.  Sometimes, you get what you pay for, meaning you won't see an ideal result unless you purchase the right quantity of filler to be injected.  Look for a board-certified doctor with experience in filler injections to make sure that you get the best results.

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Combining Voluma XC & Radiesse Work Well For Nonsurgical Cheek Bone Augmentation With Good Longevity

Sculptra is not a Juvederm product. It is a different class of product that gives little immediate cosmetic benefit, usually requires a series of relatively expensive treatments, and depends upon its ability to stimulate new, native collagen synthesis.. I am guessing that you may instead have meant to write Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm's Voluma XC product.

In my experience Juvederm Ultra is best reserved for filling superficial lines and wrinkles and not for "deep support volumetry," which is what is needed for providing projection and durability for nonsurgical cheek augmentation. Parenthetically, I am not a fan of the use of any permanent fillers, such as silicone, Artefill or Bioalcamid, since, if the results are not pleasing or they no longer remain pleasing as the surrounding face changes with time, as it inevitably does, they cannot be dissolved or even easily removed by surgery.

In my Upper East Side Manhattan office I have had gratifying results that last up to two years combining Radiesse with Voluma XC. (In my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved volumizers and fillers are availble I would opt for a combination of Teosyal Deep and Emervel Volume for this purpose). I think it would be wise to seek consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician with extensive experience and expertise in nonsurgical cheek augmentation.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Disappearing filler

I've seen this happen rarely, usually in patients who are bodybuilders or extremely fit and presumably because of their high metabolism. Juvederm doesn't make sculptra so not sure what you had injected in cheeks besides voluma. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who has experience with multiple fillers...radiesse may be an option because it is made of different material than voluma so it may not get metabolized in the same way. The web reference provides more information about fillers. Good luck!

Early filler absorption

Every patient metabolizes filler at a different rate.  Each filler has its own individual characteristics (i.e. cross-linking, type of product, etc).  Be sure what type of Juvederm you received (Ultra, Ultra Plus, Voluma) to see if another type might fit you better.  Consider an entirely different class of fillers including Sculptra or Radiesse to see if your body metabolizes these fillers differently.  Patients who are smokers and those who exercise frequently often have difficulty keeping fillers for long periods of time.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon