Is my swelling to severe? Should I go to urgent care? (photo)

I had Restylane injections yesterday. This is the first time I've ever had swelling with it. The swelling under my eyes is so severe it's is scaring me. What should I do?

Swelling After Restylane

The degree of swelling sometimes seen by patients post-filler can sometimes be quite alarming, but it is usually no cause for concern unless you are experiencing severe pain, blurred vision or the area is hot to the touch. If none of these symptoms are present, I would say it is safe to just wait it out. Cool compresses can help reduce swelling and I would also advise you to avoid very salty foods or alcohol as these can contribute. Again, as long as none of the noted side effects are present, take it easy and the bulk of the swelling should subside in a day or two.

Knowing What's Normal with Swelling and Restylane

As long as you don't have other symptoms: pain, blurred vision, etc. I don't think you need to go to urgent care. I do advise you to contact your Dr. to discuss your swelling and have it evaluated. If need be, you can be injected with hyaluronidase to reverse the filler. Most often I have found this resolves the issue in just a few hours.  If you are to get injections again, you will need much deeper placement of the filler. Best, Dr. Emer

Severe swelling after Restylane under eyes

unless you have searing pain or blurry vision, I don't think it is necessary to go to urgent care. What I would do is call your clinician for a next available appointment to discuss what to do. If you did not look like this when you walked out of the office, chances are it is just swelling that will go away with head elevation and ice. However, I would still go see your clinician for reassurance. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Facial fillers: severe swelling or problems after injection

Facial fillers are injected to improve the contours of the face.

After any filler injection there is an expected amount of swelling. Severe swelling, redness, pain, drainage, and heat are not normal and need to be evaluated by your doctor, even if it is after hours or the weekend. Any time you have an issue/question after a procedure it is important to contact to your doctor, so they can best evaluate you and determine a safe treatment plan for you. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon