What would you recommend to correct this facelift? (Photos)

Early 60's, 3 years post-full face lift from 2013. Was not happy with remaining jowls and neck laxity. Did not have filler because every time I have in the past, it causes spider veins that can't seem to be corrected with laser. Surgeon acted as if this was the best outcome possible even though you can see hanging neck even from front view. It's very difficult to find out which are best local surgeons for each type of procedure despite there being tons of them in the area.

Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeron to Discuss Your Facelift Revision

Typically, it's best to wait 6 to 12 months depending on the reason for #revision. As with all #cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical #procedure and #revision, there are some risks of unhappy outcome or other complications which your surgeon should discuss with you during your consultation. Your procedure should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for another revision surgery.

Facelift and Revision

This is a good question.  Since you are 3 years post your facelift, it appears as if your neck and jowls will remain as they are in these photos.  When performing a proper face lift there are standards for the neck.  The Neck is as important as the face and needs attention when performing the facelift.  The neck requires a different approach than the face but is intimately associated with the removing of skin on the face.  When making your incisions on the face, the placement of these incisions is important to achieve a sharp jawline and neck.  Also, to improve the jowl area the deep layer of the face ( SMAS ) must be lifted as well.  This is one of the only ways to improve the jowls.  I hope this helps.  Good Luck.

I always say polish your face the diamond as best you can the 1st time around.  In this way you will shine brilliantly.

Walton Montegut, MD
Newport Beach Physician

Not all facelifts are the same - how long should they last?

Hello and thank you for your questions and pictures.

First and foremost, not all facelifts are the same. Not all surgeons are the same. You bring up good questions.

I have performed re-do facelifts for patients that had your concerns. If you look at the link provided, you will see patients with follow up pictures at 3, 5 and 8 years after surgery. The best patient to look at is case # 2654. Her neck / jowl profile is similar to yours. While her case was not a re-do, her 6 year follow up pictures shows a lasting improvement. 

I agree with you, fillers are probably not the best lasting way to deal with your concerns. 

Sincerely,

Dr K

Michael Kulick, MD, DDS

What would you recommend to correct this facelift?

Not having your before pics from 2013 it's difficult to judge how much improvment you obtained.  It is clear that your jowls and prejowl depressions remain visible along with some laxity of your neck skin.  My best advice if you're dissatisfied is to meet with an ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon who is also a member of ASAPS and have a face to face consultation to consider revision with secondary facelift, necklift and fat grafting.  No one can promise perfection, however a possibly dramatic improvement  may result.  Enjoy the video link above for some useful information about natural looking results from facelift surgery.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

When facelifts aren't as smooth as desired

my recommendation would be for consideration of minimally invasive methods to tighten skin such as ThermiLift or Ultherapy (but I had horrible luck with the latter) to a direct excision of the skin under the chin.  If the fullness could be salivary glands, you will have to consider having them removed and very few surgeons do that routinely.

Curtis Wong, MD

Is there anything that can be done to improve the results of this Facelift?

In your case, it would be helpful to see pictures from before the procedure and also compare that with current pictures today (hard to tell if those are current photos). If you had significant facial aging and jowling before surgery, then this may be the best outcome possible at that time. In that case, there may be othe less invasive options available to you. However, if this improvement is only mildly better than what you were before, I would consider surgical facelift revision to obtain the best result. This will require opening the neck to improve the banding as well. Hope this helps. 

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Facelift touch up?

Thank you for the pictures, are they from 2013 or are they current pictures ? can you post your before pictures as well, for comparison ? Can you post your current pictures ?

Suffice to say, at 3 years after the initial facelift, you will have some aging that has occurred. Further improvement can be obtained with a minilft with our without a neck lift, vs non invasive options such as Ultherapy or the radio frequency based devices mentioned in the other posts. Another consideration would be removal of the cheek buccal fat pads which would further define your cheek an jowl areas. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Facelift complications

The bands that sometimes persist or recur after facelift surgery are not unusual.  There are several options available.  Non-invasively, Thermage can tighten a bit. Botox may help, also.  Invasively, removing the bands from the front is easy and effective (a Z-plasty).  However, it will leave an incision in the front part of the neck.  This is usually barely noticeable after several months.  A revision neck lift with a complete platysmal release (the muscle that causes neck bands).  This would have to be done with a deeper plain technique to achieve good results.  Best wishes.  

David Alessi, MD

What would you recommend to improve this facelift?

Thank you for your question and photos. You have a reasonable good result. I would propose a less invasive approach to a repeat facelift. You would do well with ThermTight. This is a minimally invasive radio frequency treatment to tighten the neck skin and jowls, under local anesthesia. It is about 1/2 hour procedure. I would also propose fat grafts to the cheeks, chin/ lip junction to correct the marionette lines and depression. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person consultation. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

What did it look like right after surgery?

The key question is what it looked like in the first months after surgery. If it looked great, then what you are seeing now is just the natural repeat aging process. If it looked just like this, then maybe more could have been done to lift the jowls higher and improve the neck. The result is totally dependent on who did it, the technique they used, your own tissue elasticity and whether you had anything done before like lipo that could have impacted the result negatively.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS