Do I have male pattern baldness or something else? (Photo)

My hair has been thinning only on the top for two years. But for some reason my right temple is thinning extremely and my left is perfectly fine and the thinning that is occurring on the top is an inch behind my hairline! I am 19 years old and my father went bald in his 40's.

Thinning Hair

From your photos it is suggestive of male pattern baldness however it is important to see a doctor that can evaluate and examine your scalp and discuss with you the medical management of hairloss such as propecia, rogaine, laser devices, etc.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Baldness - Patterned or Not?

It is not easy to make a diagnosis without direct examination of your scalp.  It is not impossible to have male patterned baldness without a similar family history.  Also, asymmetric hair loss is very common in men who experience male patterned baldness.

Find a good doctor and get evaluated in person to be sure.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss diagnosis

If you are worried about hair loss you should consult a doctor who specialises in this field. It is difficult to make a definitive diagnosis from photos and sometimes subtle scalp inflammatory conditions can co-exist with male pattern hair loss.

Greg Williams, FRCS (Plast)
London Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thinning in a 19 year old male

What you are showing in the photograph is highly suggestive of genetic balding. If we examined it under a hand microscope, we would probably confirm the diagnosis by seeing miniaturized hairs throughout the balding area. The first like of treatment would be the drug finasteride which works wonderfully in young men to slow, sop or reverse the hair loss. After taking the drug (one pill per day) it will take a year to see the full benefits and you need a prescription from a doctor as you can not buy this 'over the counter'. If the drug works, it becomes a lifetime commitment. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Maybe

Maybe you have hair loss that is not genetic. Maybe you have an autoimmune disease. Maybe you have too much stress. Maybe it is telogen effluvium.

The Internet will leave you with lots of maybes.

An examination by a doctor may give you a diagnosis.

When you have a diagnosis you can explore treatment options.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss at younger age

it is best to be seen by an experience hair restoration doctor in person.  They can evaluate your hair loss and tell you if the thinking is due to miniaturization of hair genetically which would lead to make pattern hair loss.  At this young age however, most experience doctors recommend that you start a medical regiment to reduce or prevent further hair loss and if needed in a few years you can do hair transplant to regain your already lost hair. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Male balding

The reality is that you can only be 100 % sure someone has male balding by understand the whole story of hair loss and looking at at the scalp up close. 

But in men you can certainly be 95-99% sure based on photos a a brief story. If you have no scalp symptoms (like itching, burning or pain) and your hair at the back of the scalp and sides seem pretty similar to what they've always been there 's a 99% chance you have male balding.  Your pattern appears to be that of DPA  or "diffuse patterned alopecia." 

In general terms, treatments for male balding prior to age 25 include:
  1. minoxidil
  2. finasteride
  3. platelet rich plasma
  4. low level laser therapy