I'm Worried About the Tenting Between my Implants and Need a Second Opinion? (photos)

I'm 2 weeks post-op with 465cc saline unders. I'm concerned about the tenting over my sternal area. I should've gone smaller. My PS said everything looks normal saying "it looks beautiful" so I continued to wear the compression bra per my PS. Paranoid, I tried the rolled up washcloth in between and I am now wearing a homemade "bra thong". Will the tenting go away? Should I continue compressing my sternum? How tight should it be? Continue with the compression bra or use a sorts bra instead?

Update: Photos added.

You look great for 2 weeks

At 2 weeks postop I think you look great!  You still have swelling in the midline tissues, but I can tell that your muscles are still intact.  You have slightly wider implants than your chest wall dimension, and this will place some stress on your cleavage, but as long as your muscle is intact, and I think it is, you should retain good definition.  Just give things time to settle and allow swelling to resolve.  You had very small breasts to begin with and your tissues will have to accommodate to the implants.  I'll bet you'll look amazing in a couple of months.

I'm Worried About the Tenting Between my Implants and Need a Second Opinion?

I think you have a good result and need to let time pass by and evaluate your results in a few months. Your results are good.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Breast augmentation and

For only 2 weeks post-surgery you are looking nice and while the space between your breasts is less, you appear to have a little swelling rather than real tenting. You probably need to check with your surgeon about post op care, but reducing pec muscle activity (as far as that is possible) in the short term will probably be of more benefit than the thong - ingenious though it is! 

I'm sure you will be fine and best wishes.

Adrian Knox, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Tenting after breast augmentation.

Swelling in between your breast is quite normal after breast augmentation. You have a nice result and need to be patient and wait for all the swelling to go down.

The "bra thong" you made will not help and depending on how big it is may make things worse. I would advise you not to use it.

Follow your surgeons advice, take it easy, you look fine.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Too early post op

Your pictures does not show typical symmastia. You still have a lot of swelling and should see the final result in 3 months. Do not panic and follow your surgeon instructions.You will be fine.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tenting Between Breasts

The amount of "Tenting" between your breasts looks normal after such a large change in volume.  As long as the implants are under the muscle and the muscles are still attached to your sternum, you have nothing to worry about.  Everything should settle nicely in time.  The "bra thing" will not harm anything but probably won't make much difference in the long run.

Tenting with breast augmentation

Some tenting may be from swelling. It is best to follow your surgeon's instructions for post-op care.  TIme will tell.

Swelling between breasts

Swelling in the sternal area after a subpectoral augmentation is common.  At two weeks it is too early to determine if there is a problem.  Many patients experience this, especially with larger implants relative to their frame.  The support bra is a good idea, but it will probably take a few weeks or even months for the swelling to subside.  I know it is difficult, but try and be patient and follow your surgeon's advice.

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS

Tenting between breasts after augment

At two weeks post op you still have a lot of swelling. This includes the area between your breasts. From your pictures I suspect that by the time the swelling settles down--which is likely to be several months still--you will have very nice cleavage and no tenting. I don't think that your "thong" is going to help much but I don't think it will hurt either. Good luck to you and be patient.

Margaret Skiles, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Tenting of Skin Between Breasts

It's hard to see tenting with any photo, and although the gap is narrow, I don't see an issue, yet. The skin of your breasts directly over the implants is expanding, and will start to relax over the next few weeks and months.  Hopefully symmastia will not develop, especially if there is a remaining cuff of muscle tissue along the inner sides of the implant pocket.  As you have already experienced, there is no good way of providing pressure to the sternal area effectively, so I don't know if your towel system is helping.  However, as I have said, each day brings less of a threat to symmastia as your breast skin relaxes and there is less pull on your sternal skin.

Although you may have dodged a bullet in that regard, there are other issues that will become more salient as time goes on, specifically capsular contracture, breast tissue thinning, rippling of your breast implants, and malposition.  Unfortunately, you have chosen the unholy trinity for potential problems: too large, high profile and saline.  Consideration might be made for either early or immediate revision to smaller, intermediate profile, silicone gel implants.  Obviously, this is another surgery which comes with it's own additional costs and risks of infection, hematoma, and capsular contracture.  You and your surgeon will have to make that decision.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS