Im a 34DDD. How small can I go without damaging nerves? I'd like a C cup (Photo)

I am 24, 140lbs 5'3, waist 28in with braw size at 34DDD what is the most that I could be reduced to without cutting off or damaging any nerves, I have not had any children and when I do I'd like to be able to breast feed, Ive read several articles that have me confused and scared about having a reduction, ideally I'd like to be a C cup, I understand pictures would be great but any advice without proper pic

Reduction

Thank you for your question and Dr Pousti has given you a very good answer - bottom line see some experts in your area and they will fully inform you what is possible

Dr Corbin

Don't focus on cup size

A reduction will alleviate the symptoms you are experiencing and improve your chest aesthetics as well! A good plastic surgeon will listen to your goals and make you proportional and maybe a bit smaller if feasible. Some Nerves to the nipple areolar area can be preserved with a reduction. The technique used can determine the probability of this. Size sometimes is a factor in nerve preservation as well.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and cup size

I generally do not discuss cup size with patients, as cup size means different things to every person. Rather, one of the goals of surgery should be to remove as much breast tissue as possible to relieve your symptoms while at the same time maintaining a size of your breasts that is still proportionate to your body frame. There are certain risks involved with having a breast reduction.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can help you to understand what your options are and what the potential complications of surgery are. Best wishes.

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction and Breast Function

You will need a thorough examination so that an accurate assessment can be made. In general, nerve and blood vessel function is preserved with breast reduction surgery.  The ability to breast feed also relies on the preservation of milk glands that are still connected with the nipple. Certain techniques like the superior and central pedicle types of reductions are known to preserve this connection well. 

Although cup sizes are a poor way to communicate size goals, a 34 D is entirely possible while still preserving function.  Please visit a few cosmetic breast specialist that can show you many examples of their results.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Im a 34DDD. How small can I go without damaging nerves? I'd like a C cup

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your (carefully selected) plastic surgeon. Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.