Pros & Cons about a Breast Augmentation?

The low down on Breast Augmentation Surgery

In the past 25 years I have done thousands of breast augmentation surgery's. It is one of the most common surgeries that I perform. 

Women seek breast augmentation surgery for several reasons. They may want to restore breast volume that has been lost as a result of pregnancy and breast feeding. They may want to restore volume after major weight loss. They may want to balance out breasts that are two different sizes. They may want to augment underdeveloped breasts. They may have had a mastectomy and are seeking to reconstruct their breast or breasts. Whatever the goal, each of my patients has their own set of reasons that is unique and personal to them.

The benefits of a breast augmentation often goes far beyond just appearance. It can go a long way in boosting self-esteem. Such psychological effects are immeasurable. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons found that breast augmentation surgery has a 95% satisfaction rate.

One common misconception is that women seeking breast augmentation surgery are seeking enormous breasts. I have not found this to be the case. Generally, women coming to me for an augmentation are seeking a well proportioned contour and outcome.

Another common misconception is that breast implants look fake. Some implants DO look fake. When the wrong size of implant is used, or the wrong type of implant is used or placement of the implant is incorrect, they can look obvious and fake. Achieving a natural look depends on several factors. It starts with the initial patient consultation. I let my patients tell me what type of look they want to achieve. From there I take into consideration their frame, the size of implant, the style of implant and the placement of the implant. I discuss the options available and which options will give them the look they are seeking. I like to empower my patients. By giving them correct information they can then make their best and most informed decision.

A word of warning. It does matter who does your surgery. I can’t stress this enough. Over the past 25 years I have had many women come to me to fix botched procedures that they have had done by untrained, unskilled and unqualified doctors. I have seen implants that were placed too high or too low. I have seen implants that have been placed too far apart or too close together. I have seen implants put in upside down and backwards. I have seen patients left with deformed nipples and horrible scars. All because they trusted a doctor who had no formal training in doing breast augmentation surgery. If flying out of the country or going to a doctor offering you bargain basement prices seems too good to be true, it probably is. Do your homework when choosing a surgeon because you may end up making a decision you will regret for the rest of your life. You can find a Board Certified plastic surgeon in your area by going to American Society of Plastic Surgeons webpage at : find.plastissurgery.org

Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Pros and Cons for Breast Augmentation

There are health and safety considerations for any medical procedure. Your whole health picture, your goals and options should all be discussed in detail with your Plastic Surgeon as well as procedure-specific risks and considerations. I recommend that you seek board certified Plastic Surgeons to consult with.

All the best

Pros and cons of breast augmentation.

Thank you for your question.  This is obviously a very important question and the answer is much longer than the scope of a simple Q&A on Realself. I would highly recommend that you follow up with a board-certified plastic surgeon in person to discuss the pros and cons of breast augmentation as they relate to you and your goals and expectations. Best of luck.

James Shoukas, MD
Lake Mary Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

While there are many obvious pros to undergoing breast augmentation, you should be aware that there are cons as well. Those include the need to replace the implants in 10-20 years, possibility of bleeding or infection after surgery, and later on, the possibility of thickening capsule around the implants causing pain and hardness. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about the subject. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the good and bad about the operation. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Breast augmentation

In my opinion, the two biggest concerns with breast augmentation are capsular contracture and long term result.  Augmentation which is too aggressive in terms of size can result in descent of the implant called bottoming out.

John Burns, MD

There's a lot of information online re/ the procedure you're interested in. It is a very broad question which requires in person exam/ consultation . Be sure to seek an experienced Board Certified PS

Pros and Cons of a Breast Augmentation

This is a very broad question with many answers. To summarize, it is the most popular surgical cosmetic procedure in the U.S. Most women are vert saisfied with the results as long as they are doing it for themselves to improve their  body image and feel better and more confident in and out of clothing. Surgery involves risks, and although rarely are there complications, one must be aware of them and that they could occur. A board certified plastic surgeon should have a comprehensive consultation with you to assess the benefits and risks.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Pros and cons of breast implants

Hello vav00m. I will give you 5 of each.

The Pros: Improves size, symmetry, cleavage, ability to wear tops, and self-esteem.

The Cons: Requires anesthesia, involves uncertainty, there's pain, involves risks, and requires maintenance. 

Despite being an "imperfect" operation, breast augmentation has an extremely high satisfaction rate. You can see my before and after photo gallery to get an idea of the results which can be achieved.

Best, Dr. ALDO :)

Aldo Guerra, MD

Thank you for the good question. It is quite broad and cannot be answered  completely in this setting.  You will find a lot of information on this website and on the attached link as well.

Ultimately, whether a patient should undergo breast augmentation surgery is a very personal decision that should be made after careful consideration of degree of concern with breast size/shape VERSUS  potential pros/cons/risks/complications associated with breast augmentation surgery.

The advantages of  breast augmentation surgery are likely self-explanatory. SOME of the risks associated with breast augmentation surgery include leakage, encapsulation, loss of sensation, interference with mammography, movement of the implants (malposition) and the probable need for further surgery in your lifetime. 

If/when the time is right, I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery.

***Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Be very careful with your decision-making. 

You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.   

You may find the attached link, dedicated to  potential risks/complications associated with breast augmentation surgery, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes. 

Pros and cons of a breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. This is quite a long discussion that you should have with your plastic surgeon. However I will give you some basic answers. The obvious pro of having a breast augmentation is that you will have larger fuller breasts. They may also feel very natural.   This can have the effect of boosting your self esteem.   Unfortunately like any surgical procedure there are risks.   These risks include , assymmetry, scar formation, infection, implant rupture, capsular contracture (constricting scar around the breast implant), loss or change of sensation around any part of the breast, and the need for revisional surgery.   Despite hearing about risks the great majority of patients are extremely happy with the surgery.

Gerald L. Yospur, MD
Mesa Plastic Surgeon