How bad is it that my eyebrow region was massaged 5 hours after Botox?

I had 12 units of Botox placed in the "11" area today. 5 hours later I had my eyebrows waxed and she massaged that area afterwards. Now I'm worried. Is this bad? I'm getting married in a month and want to cry now after reading what can happen.

You should not have anything to worry about with a massage to your eyes five hours after your botox treatment. 

Providence Plastic Surgeon

12 units of Botox in the "11" area today. 5 hours later I had my eyebrows waxed and forehead massaged.

Hi, I have used Botox and some of the other neurotoxins for over 30 years.  When Botox is injected, the liquid solution is absorbed by the tissues within minutes.  Massaging later, standing, siting or any of the other "restrictions" placed on patients, other than no strenuous activity which limits bruising, have no real merit IMHO.  Massaging the forehead after the Botox has long since been absorbed by the tissues shouldn't be an issue.

Hope this helps.

Massage in area of Botox 5 hours later

I think things will be fine. I tell my patients that after 4 hours, they can do anything they want. Prior to that, massaging can potentially move the Botox to areas that you don't want it to be.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Massage after Botox

This should be fine.  Assuming the injections were placed deep into the appropriate muscles, you should not have any adverse effects.  Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

James Shoukas, MD
Lake Mary Plastic Surgeon

Massage 5 hours after botox, will it have an effect?

In general, it is advisable to avoid excessive pressure or manipulation after botox injections for the first several hours.  After 5 hours, it is unlikely to have a negative effect especially with the low dosage injected. 

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Massage

I always urge my patients not to have any massage for 24 hours after the injections.  Hopefully since 5 hours passed it will be ok.  Please consult an expert for the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Should be OK

The frown muscles are deep injections, so I don't think massage will move the liquid product around much.
There have been no studies of which I am aware that show massage moves Botox.
I think you will be fine.  If not, please re-post if the massage seems to alter your result so we can all learn.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and I am sorry that this has caused you to be upset.  Because of the rapid absorption of Botox it is unlikely that your results will be impacted by the waxing and massage, but because the onset of symptoms is delayed maintain close follow up with your injector. Hang in there!

This becomes a wait and see issue! BUT NEVER massage recently injected BOTOX areas EVER! Best to call your injecting doctor to inform him/her......

Massage after Botox...

Thank you for your question.  While it is not ideal that your forehead was massaged 5 hour laters, it is unlikely going to have any effect.  Botox takes its effect on the nerves immediately.  The point of asking patients not to massage or lean down/bend over after Botox has to do with diffusion of the Botox to surrounding muscle.  Some of the newer literature shows that the after the injections almost immediately all of the Botox has diffused so it is highly unlikely after 5 hours the massage will affect your Botox outcome.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon