Can CoolSculpting cause hernias?

Coolsculpting and Hernias

Coolsculpting will not cause a hernia since the only the fat is drawn into the applicator, not the muscle. If you think you may have a hernia, consult your physician before having a Coolsculpting procedure done as you do not want to cool sculpt over a hernia.

Sugar Land OB/GYN

Coolsculpting and Hernias

Coolsculpting does not cause hernias but may unmask a hernia that was not clinically apparent before the procedure.  Your physician should evaluate you before the procedure to see if you are a candidate for coolscupting and do a thorough exam.

Coolsculpting

It wouldn’t cause a hernia as much as unmask one that was not clinically apparent before treatment as the defect in the muscular wall would have to already be present for a hernia to occur. Have your doctor evaluate you for a possible hernia before you have treatment.

Suzanne Kilmer, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Can CoolSculpting Cause Hernias?

Thank you for your question. Coolsculpting does not cause hernia. I would recommend consulting with a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon to give you the best treatment plan and make sure that you're a good candidate physically and medically. I hope this helps!

CoolSculpting should not cause a hernia

CoolSculpting should not cause a hernia. I have heard of cases where hernias have manifest after Coolsculpting, though I have not seen this. In these rare cases I find it unlikely that Coolsculpting was the cause of the hernia and more likely that herniation was simply not noticed previously. CoolSculpting should not be done over a hernia however.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and hernias

Coolsculpting should not cause a hernia but should not be used over or in the area of a hernia. You should have the hernia fixed, then have the Coolsculpting performed afterwards. Good luck.

Coolsculpting and hernia

CoolSculpting can exacerbate an pre-existing muscle weakness leading to a full manifestation of an abdominal hernia. This is rare according to Zeltique, but I have seen one in my practice. Treating an area with a hernia using CoolSculpting would be dangerous and is not to be done. Fix the hernia first. Good luck

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Don't CoolSculpt over a Hernia

Coolsculpting will not create a hernia, since only skin and the fat below the skin is drawn up into the applicator,  Coolsculpting should not be done over a pre-existing hernia where the contents of the hernia, extruding past the muscle, may be damage by the Coolsculpting treatment. It is important to check for a pre-existing hernia, such as an umbilical hernia, prior to treatment.

Good luck,
Dr. Kaniff

Thomas E. Kaniff, MD, FACS
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

It Is Not Recommended to Treat on or Around a Hernia

A hernia occurs when part of an internal structure bulges through a weakened area of the body cavity. Hernias are caused by a combination of structural weakness (both hereditary or secondary) and increased pressure (such as heavy lifting, straining, etc.) Treatment may cause new hernia formation or exacerbate pre-existing hernia, which may require surgical repair. Physicians should examine the patient for evidence of pre-existing abdominal or femoral hernia prior to use of device.

Can CoolSculpting cause a hernia?

CoolSculpting should not cause a hernia in a normal individual but it should not be used over an area in a patient where there is an existing hernia.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon