It's been 8 weeks since my Juvederm Voluma and there is no sign of anything. Can I get facial fillers from another physician?

My plastic surgeon gave me 4 syringes of Juvederm Voluma 8 weeks ago. There were no visible results or any swelling; just needle marks. I saw him 2 times and expressed my displeasure. He stated that I was impatient and that Juvederm Voluma can take 8 weeks to see the final results and fullness to the cheeks. I'm thinking of seeing another physician for my facial fillers. Is it too soon and can a different filler react with the Juvederm Voluma? Thanks

No results after filler

It seems unusual that you did not see noticeable changes after 4 syringes of filler.  Patients receiving volumizing treatments with injectable fillers typically see results almost immediately.  These almost instantaneous results are why I really enjoy performing these treatments.  While it is true that hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm and Voluma typically plump a little in the first few days due to their affinity for water this is usually minimal.  If you were unhappy with your treatment and have discussed it with the treating physician without resolution I would highly recommend seeking a second opinion.  It is certainly every patient's right to seek additional opinions and choose the treating physician that is right for them.  

Cody Koch, MD PhD

Des Moines Facial Plastic Surgeon

Effect is based on placement

Voluma is an ideal treatment for enhancement of the mid face. It works beautifully to correct malar fat descension and aging of the mid face. In some case it is been shown to last up to 2 years. It is not FDA approved for any other location other than mid face. It is a deep injection just off the bone and requires expertise in injecting. It should only be injected by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.
I would recommend you discuss your issue with a board certified dermatologist.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

No result from 4 syringes of Voluma

Thank you for asking about your Voluma.

Four syringes of Voluma is a lot. You should have a visible effect - immediately.
You do not wait to see the result.
Of course you can see another physician to do your fillers but it would be good to know first what happened to you.

Possible explanations -
  1. You had  Sculptra, not Voluma. Sculptra is not a true filler. it is supposed to stimulate collagen production during the 6 months after injection. It does not always work
  2. You have results but expected more - get a copy of your records so you know what was injected and sit down with your doctor to review your before/after photos. 
  3. You have no results because you were not injected with filler - did the surgeon open the filler in front of you or bring in an unlabeled syringe? Voluma comes as a labelled, pre-filled syringe in a sealed plastic holder. Fake injections are very rare but I have seen one patient who was given salt water injections instead of the Juvederm and Botox she paid for.  

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Immediate Results with Voluma

One of the reasons I love injecting Voluma so much is the instant gratification of real time results!  You should have noticed an immediate difference, especially after receiving so much of the product.  There is no reason why you can't consult with another expert injector for a second opinion if you aren't happy with your current results.  Best of luck to you!  

Immediate results after facial fillers

When injected with facial/dermal fillers you should see immediate results! 4 syringes is a large amount of product. Did you see the product before it was injected? Did the physician open it in front of you? It is very unlikely to not see any results after that amount of product injected. It should not take 8 weeks to notice unless you had had been injected with a filler such as Scluptura that takes three sessions of injections separated 6 to 8 weeks apart. Confirm that your doctor injected you with voluma. You should be able to see the stickers that come with the product.

Good luck!

Voluma and facial fillers

Voluma is my favorite facial injection especially for the mid-face.  It immediately gives the face a natural lift. I do not understand why you do not see any difference after four syringes were injected.  Did you compare photos before and after? I usually can correct the entire area with two or three syringes.  I would definitely return to your treating physician for examination to discuss where Voluma was placed and your results.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Voluma.

Seeing another physician for fillers

You can see another physician and have filers done without problem. I cannot understand 4 syringes and you see nothing. So make sure you discuss this with your new injector. 

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."