Which would be more beneficial for me a mini face lift or a cheek lift? (photos)

I am 57 years old, I received botox for my forehead 6 months ago along with juvederm for creases. I would like something more permanent, one doctor told me to get a cheek lift, the other a mini face lift, what should I do?

Facelift or Cheek lift?

Hi Sbrex. Cheeklifts and facelifts may address different things and have different goals. A cheeklift is primarily used to lift the cheek tissue and is used to address hollowing under the eyes or loss of volume and descent of the midcheek area. Facelifts can correct jowls and loosening of the neck skin and muscle. The best surgery for you depends on what your concerns are and what region you would like improved. It is difficult to assess your volume in the cheek area since you have had fillers, however it seems based on your photograph that your midface volume is just fine. A cheek/midface lift definitely has its place, however patients do have swelling for a while. Also, it doesn't address jowls or neck laxity. A deep plane facelift can correct all three (neck, jowls and cheeks) through lifting all the tissue and adding volume to the midface while addressing the neck at the same time. Make sure you discuss the facelift surgical technique with your surgeon as some facelift techniques have longer results than others. Good luck. 

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Which would be more beneficial for me a mini face lift or a cheek lift?

You would benefit from a short scar facelift with necklift and adding filler to shape the cheeks and face.  Once jowling begins, facelifts are the most common answer.  

You need to be assessed when your filler is gone

It's often difficult to devise a plan for surgery when there are temporary fillers present.  On first glance of your photo, your midface is very youthful (cheeks, lower eyelids).  The laxity in the low face would be improved with a facelift (helps with the jawline and neck).  "Cheek lifts" can require an extended recovery and often ultimately require some fillers down the road, so many of us address this area with filler now instead of surgery.  Get a few more in person consultations when your filler has worn off and see what you hear!  I would expect the focus to be more on a facelift than surgically addressing your cheeks.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

A minilift  or a cheeklift varies significantly in what it entails, depending on the surgeon performing it. It usually performed in patients with minimal laxity and would not improve your neck. The terms facelift and lower facelift mean different things to different patients and vary in their extent from surgeonto surgeon. A facelift or a lower facelift which would include the neck area would have the potential to produce the best and longest lasting cosmetic result of the neck, central cheek and jowl area.

Micro-fat grafts can produce a long term improvement of the areas that you have had temporary fillers.

It is important to realize that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on a limited photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Facial rejuvenation needs to be individualized. What would be an ideal approach for one patient is not necessarily the same for someone else. Based on the examination and discussion at the consultation, you should have a better understanding of the various options that can achieve the best cosmetic result for you.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and in many respects I agree with Dr. Fleming.  though a full examination is needed form the one photo you have sent it would appear you would benefit from a full facelift(which includes the nec)  as your neck appears to be showing your age the most

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Without more images and a full exam, it is difficult to make a sure recommendation.
That said, looking at your picture, you have good fullness in the cheeks. Where you do have aging is in the lower face and neck. This would be best addressed with a lower facelift and certainly this could be a mini facelift.

I would recommend consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon-

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower facelift is best

You look like you could get a beautiful result with a full lower facelift, one which will completely rejuvenate the front of your neck. That is the area mostly left under done in mini procedures. Check my photos for examples.

Mini Facelift vs Cheek Lift

It is impossible to answer your question with just one picture and without the opportunity to discuss what bothers you. I don't see significant problems with your cheeks. You do have laxity in the neck and along your jawline which can be treated with a neck lift, a facelift, or a mini facelift. I need more pictures and information.

Lower face/ neck lift

It is difficult to give an opinion based on only one photograph, since the face is a three-dimensional structure. Mini-lifts tend to give mini results and will not address the laxity of skin in the neck. A comprehensive lower face/neck lift will address tightening of loose facial and neck skin, tightening the neck muscles in 3 locations, tightening the jowls and SMAS and removal of any fatty deposits in the neck, if present. for many examples, please see the link below

Mini facelift or cheek lift?

After looking at your picture, I feel a mini facelift would be my recommendation.  You have some early jowling along the jawline and some light neck laxity.  All these would be nicely addressed with a minilift.  Your cheeks actually have fairly nice structure and I would look at them once you healed from the mini facelift and decide on possible volume replacement there as the icing on the cake.  Hope this was helpful.  Best,  Dr D.

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon