Treatment for malasma on very dry skin?

I have very dry skin and melasma on my face from last 9 years after the birth of my son. Kindly advice me a sunblock and fading cream.

Melasma and Dark Skin and Dry skin and Best Skin Care - NYC

I recommend a combination of bleaching creams, retinoids, and sun screens for most patients.  I also love Cosmelan and find their physician mask and products amazingly effective.  For the dryness you should combine a rich moisturizer since some of these other products can be irritating. Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Multiple methods = best results for melasma

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams. In your case, if you have dry skin, start at a lower concentration of HQ, and lower concentration of peels. Laser in you case is ideal as it will not dry your skin out. 

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help.

More information on available treatments in the Web Reference below.

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Skin Care Regimen for Melasma

If you are not pregnant or breast-feeding, Hydroquinone is a very good and effective cream to use for a few months to treat melasma.  Obagi Nuderm is a very good option or their new line called Melamin Skin Bleaching & Correcting Crème.  Also sunscreen is very important on a daily basis, even in the winter time.  One we recommend to our patients is by SkinMedica Total Defense + Repair.  All of these recommendations are suitable for dry skin.

David P. Melamed, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Dry skin and Melasma

@agro57

I recommend Dr. Obagi's ZO skin care line.
For dry skin with Melasma there is a great option for you.  I would recommend the normacleanse cleanser which is gentle and foamy, balatone which is meant to balance your pH, melamin which helps to blend discoloration, daily power defense which helps to regnerate skin cell turnover and is packed with antioxidants, and the sunscreen with primer and tint. All of these should be used in the morning.
Then for your evening regimen, I would use Melamix which will suppress your melanocytes mixed with Retin-A .05% for cell turnover and generation.
If used daily for 4-6 weeks your skin will drastically improve! You will notice the texture and tone of dry, damaged skin. Once you've done this, you might consider having a laser treatment called Permea done. It is a laser designed to lift any pigmentation, plump the skin and shrink your pore size, while also reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles! I strongly advise having a series of 3 spaced 4-6 weeks apart for optimal results.

I hope this helps you. Visit with your local PS or Derm today for a consultation.

#melasma #skincareregemin #ZO

Dry skin and Melasma

@agro57

Thank you for your question, and not to worry; there is hope! I love the ZO line which was created by Dr. Zein Obagi. I would recommend the normacleanse, balatone, melamin, daily power defense, and the sunscreen with primer and tint (AM) and Melamix with Retin-A .05% (PM). Used daily for 4-6 weeks will greatly improve the texture and tone of dry, damaged skin and suppress your melanocytes. Once your skin has regained its strength, you might consider having a laser treatment called Permea done. It is designed to lift any pigmentation, plump the skin and shrink your pore size, while also helping to reduce fine lines and wrinkles! I strongly advise having a series of 3 spaced 4-6 weeks apart for optimal results.

#melasma   #skincareregemin    #ZO

Hydrocortisone.flaxseed powder, neyrogena

You may have mild dermatiti so a trial of hydrocrotisone short term may be helpful.Neutrogema is a well tolerated sunscreen. Flaxseed which contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids will add essential fatty acids to moisturizer your skin form inside. Once your skin is better you can tolerate bleaching cream or undergo laser for melasma.

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon