Sudden pain in crowned tooth, with a root canal. Any suggestions?

I had a root canal done almost 9 years back in upper jaw premolar. My dentist recommended me to get a crown and I got one. It has been absolutely fine all the time although there is a very small gap with the adjoining tooth since almost the beginning and food can get stuck there but it is easily removed using toothpick/floss 4 to 5 hours ago, I ate some sandwiches. Nothing abnormal. But after a few minutes a very strong pain started under crown and it's not going away. What could have happened?

Tooth pain

If you have had an issue with food impaction around the crown over years, it is highly probable that there is decay under the crown due to the food and bacterial accumulation. This could have led to reinfection in the tooth, thereby leading to pain. I would recommend seeing your dentist as soon as possible to prevent further damage to the tooth. Your dentist will be able to diagnose the issue with an xray and treat accordingly.