I'm a student at the age of 24 and my hair has gone thin? (Photo)

Hello Sir!! I'm a student at the age of 24 and my hair has gone thin. I'm really very bothered. please check the attached photos and tell me if I need a hair transplant or is there any other possible treatment that can recover my lost hair. Regards: Khan

Advanced Hair Loss at 24

You likely have advanced male pattern baldness at a young age.  If you do nothing, you will likely continue to thin and bald in the areas you are already thinning.  

Early intervention to slow the progression of hair loss is the most important first step.  Medical therapies such as minoxidil and finasteride are helpful and you should seek the care of a doctor specializing in hair restoration to start treatment.  

Cellular therapy and growth factors including growth factors from PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) and SVF (Stromal Vascular Fraction -which contains stem cells) are probably the most powerful intervention.  These techniques can help prevent further hair loss and stimulate new growth.  

Finally, because you are already pretty advanced, you may also consider transplant.  I recommend FUE with growth factors and PRP for all my patients given the quick recovery time and superior results. 

Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you would like to understand possible treatments for your hair loss, see a doctor for an examination to establish a diagnosis

If you would like to understand possible treatments for your hair loss, see a doctor for an examination to establish a diagnosis or prognosis (how much more hair loss you may have in the future).  Your doctor may offer you treatment options which may or may not include a hair transplant surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

24 and thinning hair in male

Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are showing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss, then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the the best test to get will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and this will show, over a one year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon