Stiffness and pain in my legs when folding my knee. (Photos)

I have very visible normal (not varicose) red and purple veins ans swelling on my ankle (disappear after sleeping) running up the front of both thighs upper part of knee and heavy tightness in legs and calves. Can these be treated and what would the best treatment

Leg pain

Based on your symptoms and pictures, there is a good chance that you have underlying venous disease.  You should be evaluated with an ultrasound to determine if this is the cause of your discomfort and see what treatments are recommended.

Atlanta Physician

Spider veins

Spider veins are not "normal."  Before performing any cosmetic treatment on spider veins, especially if there are more than just 3 or 4 areas, I have my patients undergo a venous ultrasound (duplex) exam to look for venous insufficiency.  When the underlying saphenous veins don't work properly, they need to be treated before any effective treatment can begin on spider veins.   You have symptoms of venous insufficiency (swelling of the ankles, spider veins, and the heavy feeling you describe).  See a vein specialist for a more thorough evaluation - treatment of the underlying venous insufficiency is usually covered by insurance.  Good luck.

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon

Leg pain and prominent veins

The veins that you show in the photo are telangiectasis, often referred to as spider veins.  They do not generally cause the type of discomfort that you described.  However, people with a large number of spider veins on the legs who experience leg pain and leg heaviness often have an underlying condition call venous reflux.  That condition can be treated , when necessary.  I recommend that you schedule an appointment with a vascular surgeon or other vein specialist.  Then a proper evaluation can be performed and a recommendation specific to your situation can be made.

Many leg veins.

Your posted pictures reveal many spider and reticular veins.  Many times with this many veins you will have underlying venous reflux.  Before any treatment of your veins I would recommend a venous duplex sonogram to look for reflux and this may need to be treated before sclerotherapy.  See a vein specialist for an evaluation.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon