Patchy Hair Loss (Photo)

I am Naveed, Male, 30, . I am suffering from patchy hair loss since 2003. Onset: itchy scalp at the start of hair loss in 2003. Patches were coin size small and becomes wider within few months. Affected scalp skin becomes darker and pores are closed now. never took any medicine, steroids, ointments or anything else. Now my whole scalp is affected and I am feeling itchy all the time again. Please diagnose this condition, recommend tests and treatments. Thanks

Doctor Answers 3

Male with patchy hair loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This looks like male patterned balding. See a good doctor and get a diagnosis and if appropriate get on the drug Finpecia

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Patchy Hair Loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have a scarring alopecia, most probably lichen planopilaris but it is better  idea  to go to a dermatologist for full exam and skin biopsy. 

Hair transplantation does not work for restoration of hair,  because of immunologic attack to hair roots.

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Lichen planopilaris in men

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have lichen planopilaris. It may look like male balding, but it's not. Please see a dermatologist who specializes in hair loss for guidance on treatment.
For men with LPP, I advise blood tests for CBC, TSH, ferritin, ESR, AST, ALT, AST, cholesterol.  Depending on the history, I may include ANA. Hepatitis B and C screening is helpful is we are planning use of immunosuppressants.   A scalp biopsy is not usually necessary but if your doctor is not sure it is a good idea and will lead to the diagnosis.Treatments include topical steroids, steroid injections, topical calcineurin inhibitors, oral doxycycline, oral hydroxychloroquine, oral methotrexate, oral mycophenolate, oral cyclosporine.Please see a dermatologist who treats scarring alopecia.

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Vancouver Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.