Is the occurrence of scar tissue mandatory after gyneocomastia surgery?

I had my surgery 5 days back and everything is fine. Will it occur in my chest? Is it mandatory? Does it develop in everyone after that surgery??? How can I avoid its occurrence? Please help me

What to Expect After Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia Surgery Healing

Hi Sheikho2649,
Thanks for the post. Scar tissue formation is a normal part of healing. There is nothing that could be done to avoid its occurrence. However, some people form a lot of scar after surgery and these can feel like firm lumps. If that occurs, massage techniques and sometimes steroid injections can breakdown this scar tissue.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Scarring after surgery

Scarring is a normal result of any injury, including surgery.  Your surgeon will strive to hide your scar, as best possible, by placing in an area where it will best be hidden and close the wound in such a was as to help make the least visible scar possible.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Scarring is a natural part of the body's healing process after injury, or surgery.  There is always the development of some degree of scar tissue, but your surgeon can recommend techniques to minimize its effects, and improve the scar's overall appearance, helping you attain your desired goals.  

Is Scar Tissue After Gynecomastia Surgery Necessary & How Is It Treated/Avoided?

A certain amount of scar tissue is absolutely mandatory after any type of surgery as part of the healing process. 

If you were my patient, after gynecomastia surgery, I would recommend ultrasound (the kind physical therapists use for sore muscles) as a mechanism to speed the healing process and also decrease the amount of excessive, unwanted scar tissue.  I have also found DMSO post surgery to be a useful adjunct in healing without excessive scarring.