Melasma Problem from 8 years, tried many treatments but nothing worked and want to get rid of it

my Melasma started from 2006 and now its spreading on my face , with the consultation of doctor i got one hydro facial session, 4 peeling session, one darma roller and used some creams, Melzo peel jel, deu11, acnes c-10 serum . and some more products, i feel a very little difference. u can see my face pics for more details. Now i consult one more Dr. and she gave me (please see 2 pics of prescription) this medicine, and again she suggest for more chemical peel sessions. please suggest.

Melasma solutions...

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams. Another laser I use is the Clear and Brilliant in the Permea setting combined with creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help. Melasma treatments should be tailored to each patient.

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Treatment for melasma

Thank you for your question bushraNazli. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Melasma is a condition characterized by the appearance of dark patches on the skin. Melasma treatment is challenging because it is a condition we control, not cure. Therefore consistent treatment and maintenance treatments are required. For my patients I start with a good skin care regimen including topical products containing sunscreen, hydroquinone, kojic acid, retinoic acid, salicylic acid, hyaluronic acid, and vitamins C and E. After a month or two I treat patients with the Ultimate Rejuvenation, a combination treatment I designed which includes an IPL, Micro Laser Peel, Pro Fractional Therapy treatment, and application of topical hydroquinone. We see impressive results with these treatments. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician