Is it ok to have that imbalance due to hard puffy thing in the chest 23 days after surgery? (Photo)

After my surgery I was flat enough and my chest looked handsome enough but sooner I started to develop hard things under my chest on left side. It is fine but on the right side it is puffier what is that?My surgery consisted of both lipo and gland removal, right side was bigger even before the surgery. It had a puffier nipple that was bigger than the left one. After enjoying days of flat and handsome look I am in trouble. My right side is puffier than the left one. What should I do now?

Puffiness after gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for your question. Look like you are healing well. Not sure how long ago surgery was performed. There may be some residual tissue. If you are concerned please go and see your surgeon for evaluation.

3 Weeks Following Male Breast Reduction

Your #incisions will go through a maturation process after #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.  Also, #asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery due to the nature of each breast to heal differently from each other. 

As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia Surgery Healing

Hi Sheikho2649,

Thanks for the post and photos. This question comes up a lot. At 3 weeks you are very early in your healing and it is not unusual to have swelling and scar tissue formation. I recommend that you see your plastic surgeon because if it is scar tissue there are massage techniques that can help.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Is it OK to have that imbalance due to hard puffy thing in the chest 23 days after surgery?

At just 23 days post gynecomastia surgery and from your photos, I believe you have some post operative swelling and bruising which could be greater on the right side due to the larger tissue resection.  If the results initially looked good, this swelling and bruising should eventually resolve in the coming weeks.  Check with your surgeon, but avoid heavy exercise or weight lifting for the next few weeks as this could cause further bruising.  At some point gentle massage can help break up the scar.  But give things time to resolve.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Is it ok to have that imbalance due to hard puffy thing in the chest 23 days after surgery?

It may be challenging to differentiate swelling from scar tissue from residual gland after gynecomastia surgery. Your plastic surgeon will likely be in the best position to help you with this differentiation. Best wishes.