I want to know whether I have gynecomastia or just chest fat & what is its treatment? (Photo)

I have these since I can remember. Can you please clear my confusion and also advise me regarding the issue. What should be done? As you can see that I have plenty of thick hair by which I assume that it is not a hormone problem. The first picture is when they are contracted. The remaining two are when they are puffy

Doctor Answers 3

Candidate for gynecomastia removal surgery

From your photos, you seem to be a candidate for gynecomastia removal surgery or male breast reduction. Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed.

You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary. I have attached a link to help you with your decision!

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 154 reviews

I want to know whether I have gynecomastia or just chest fat & what is its treatment?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction may also be helpful. My best suggestion: get into the "shape" you want to be physically. Then if your chest wall is still of concern, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best  wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,488 reviews

Do You Have Gynecomastia?

The two most important questions to ask when dealing with a teen with gynecomastia are: 1) How long has the gynecomastia been present? 2) Are there any other causes of gynecomastia in that patient? If there are no other identifiable medical causes, and hormone levels are normal, then surgery is recommended if they have had gynecomastia for over two years. While there is no “youngest age” to undergo gynecomastia surgery, I make sure that  teenage patients have had gynecomastia for at least two years and have no other identifiable causes for their gynecomastia. 
Any individual surgeon can make a specific decision based upon the consultation offered in person and if it is determined that surgery is beneficial. Best of luck!

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.