I had a gynecomastia surgery. Right side is well. Left is quite painful and has developed blackish discolouration. (Photo)

I'm really worried. It has intense, piercing pain while walking. Doesn't let me walk, unless I'm pressing the area. Also, the discolouration is very worrying. Could it be nipple necrosis?

Necrosis

Partial necrosis is a possibility. Severe pain is an unusual finding.  See your plastic surgeon immediately for evaluation. 

DrBurnett#realself100

I had a gynecomastia surgery. Right side is well. Left is quite painful and has developed blackish discolouration.

From the photo it appears that you are experiencing normal healing but to be sure check with your doctor. 

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Asymmetry and Discoloration Post Op

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery. Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia

Hello, thank you for the question and picture.  I'm sorry that you're feeling so much discomfort, which is worrisome.  There does appear to be partial necrosis if the areola and nipple.  That in itself is not usually painful, so I am also concerned that there may be blood or fluid underneath the nipple causing pressure and pain.  I recommend that you see your surgeon urgently.  Best of luck and have a blessed day.

Soumo Banerji, MD
Pasadena Physician