I want to know I my chin is too small or it is normal? (photos)

Please look at my photos and read their captions and suggest me whether I need braces, or jaw surgery and chin implantation... And the time each treatment would take.

Candidate for a Chin Augmenatation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Small Chin

Hi realmhassan,
Based on the photos, it looks like you lack forward and a bit of downward projection, which can be greatly improved by chin implant, provided you have a normal bite.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Implant may help.

According to aesthetic norms your chin is too small. Based on the photographs you provided it is likely a chin implant would be adequate but there is a possibility you would be better served with a mandibular advancement. This could help align your teeth and bring your chin forward at the same time. You should meet with a plastic surgery familiar with both surgical options so they can council you on the best option.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

I want to know I my chin is too small or it is normal?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery. Hope this helps.

Recommend Consulting with a Board Certified Surgeon

For successful function and harmonization/aesthetics of the jaw, it is important to address both the teeth and jaw structure.  I often work in tandem with oral surgeons to provide the best plan.  I recommend you finding a board certified facial plastic and/or plastic surgeon who works with an Oral surgeon so they can collaborate to provide you with a plan in regards to your proper bite, jaw structure and possible need for implant.  
I often implant a chin with excellent results when the teeth are fitting well.  If the teeth do not fit well, then I rely on my oral surgeon colleagues to make a plan before I implant a chin.  

Karan Dhir, MD